Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Taxi service from Gunma prefecture to Nikko ? 2015/3/16 03:32
Hello,

In April, we need to travel from Hoshi Onsen (near Jomokogen, Gunma prefecture) to Nikko.

As a group of 5, and wanting to see the countryside, we are considering using a taxi (instead of the train).

I tried to find taxi companies in the area, but could not find any. I also asked Gunma prefecture Tourism Office, but got no answer ...

Any help to get a taxi company that could transport us from Jomokogen to Nikko ?

Many thanks in advance,
Olivier
by ZeBieler (guest)  

Re: Taxi service from Gunma prefecture to Nikko ? 2015/3/16 10:38
Are you sure you want to take a taxi? That's a 100km, 2hr taxi ride which will cost around 30,000 yen for a regular size taxi. With 5 people you'll need to request at least a large size taxi which will cost proportionally more. You're better off renting a car if that is an option.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Taxi service from Gunma prefecture to Nikko ? 2015/3/16 16:14
Hello,

From Hoshi Onsen (where we will be) to Nikko, it means 1 shuttle bus + 1 bus + another bus + train (with two changes) + taxi to the hotel in Nikko, this with children and bags.

And the price difference with taxi for 5 should be less than 20'000Yen.

Guess what, I will be on holiday, and happy to get the taxi ride through the mountains ;-)
by ZeBieler (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taxi service from Gunma prefecture to Nikko ? 2015/3/16 16:15
Sorry,

To answer your question, renting a car would be a bit tricky, as :
- we would have to get the car somewhere
- I am not sure we could leave it in Nikko
- I cannot read japanese signs
- I drive in Europe, so not used to left driving

Re: Taxi service from Gunma prefecture to Nikko ? 2015/3/16 17:29
No worries, just asking because a lot of people are unaware of taxi prices in Japan, which tend to be relatively high compared to other countries in Asia where you can rent all day taxi's for very little money. One more question, when will you be travelling? Route 120 between Gunma and Nikko will be closed until April 24th, necessitating a more round-a-bout route (and expensive due to tolls and distance).

Just some more comments:

And the price difference with taxi for 5 should be less than 20'000Yen.

I'm not sure the price difference. I would be more concerned with availability of large size taxi as the taxi companies tend not to have many in their stables. You'll have to call ahead to find out. Here's one of the bigger taxi service in the area that have larger van taxis.

http://kan-etsu.net/publics/index/12/

Guess what, I will be on holiday, and happy to get the taxi ride through the mountains ;-)

Awesome, most people are scared away by the cost which is why I mentioned it first. Taxi travel is awesome if it's in your budget, but personally I prefer rental car as a convenient alternative as driving in Japan is quite a bit easier than most people realize.

Just in case you're interested, you can rent at Jomo Kogen Station and drop off in Nikko (for an added fee). Most signs along the way are in English and Japanese, and the rental cars have navigation built in (although I prefer to use google maps on a smartphone or tablet). Driving on the left is not so hard once you get used to it, but if you don't feel comfortable then definitely don't rent. One thing to note is that there may be snow on the ground even in late April.

Re: Taxi service from Gunma prefecture to Nikko ? 2015/3/20 17:03
Thx a lot for the info.

We managed to contact the taxi company you mentionned (using Facebook as no email on their webpage), and they answered.

Yen 67'040 for a minivan (5 persons + luggages) from our remote location in Gunma prefecture to our hotel in Nikko.

By taking public transport (with reserved seats), it would have cost us Yen 55'000 ....

BR,
Olivier

Re: Taxi service from Gunma prefecture to Nikko ? 2015/3/20 17:26
Sounds good! Thanks for posting the results, that's useful to know for the future.

Enjoy your trip!

reply to this thread