Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visit many cities or focus on a few? 2015/3/16 17:42
Hello!

I'll be taking a vacation in Japan for 28 days in a couple months. I plan to backpack it. At the very least I will be visiting Sapporo, Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, and Nara. My flights in and out of Japan will be from HND.

At first, I planned to visit as many cities as I could in- between the cities so I could see as much of Japan as possible, then I heard from friends and other travelers it also would be good to focus on fewer cities to absorb/appreciate the environment better of each different place rather than rushing through many cities. I can see both views equally.

If you have a spare moment, I'd like to hear your opinions and thoughts on the pros/cons of visiting as many cities as possible and about staying in fewer cities, if you would be so kind.

Thank you for your time.
by Gaijinbran  

Re: Visit many cities or focus on a few? 2015/3/16 18:44
Visit more:
Pros: Obviously you reach more cities and see more locations
Cons: You probably will be rushing and will not be able to enjoy what each location has to offer.
Result: Typical response from tourist who claim Japan is boring, because they rush everything through.Though, if you plan for second visit, a brief stop to each location can give you an idea if you like the place (I doubt it)

Focus on a few:
Pros: You get the most what each location to offer.
Cons: If that location bores you to death, let's hope you have Plan B itinerary.
Result: More flexible if you make up 2nd Plan B itinerary, get the most what each place to offer. Japan is not really a place you only visit once.
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: Visit many cities or focus on a few? 2015/3/16 18:47
If you have 4 weeks, then use major cities as a base.

This works well in the Kanto (Tokyo) and Kansai (Kyoto/Osaka/Nara) region.

Two years ago, I booked a cheap apartment in Kyoto (I think 4,000 yen a night) for a little under 2 weeks. This allowed me to travel to many places in and around Kyoto.

For places like Tohoku and Hokkaido, it's best to travel say 2 or so hours a day (or 100 KM) and that cuts down on transport costs and wasting time travelling.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Visit many cities or focus on a few? 2015/3/16 20:59
I agree that it's best to have some bases. That helps to keep the travel flexible. If you have bases in locations that are central and well-connected to the surrounding area, like Tokyo, Kyoto/Osaka, Nagoya, Okayama, etc. it will allow you to make decisions WHILE you travel about whether or not you want to venture out on a daytrip or explore the place where you're staying more.

Of course, it's also important to do some research beforehand and get a feel as to how much time you want to or care to devote to a place. Some cities/towns are excellent places to visit but are not necessarily places you want to stay for days on end. These types of places are great to spend the day as you make your way from one location to another.

28 days is long enough that you can explore a little more in some cities while in others you can just spend a day or half-day.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Visit many cities or focus on a few? 2015/3/16 21:41
I don't like having a base.

I prefer to plot a linear route (which, of course, could be circular, or a wobbly line, but the relevant factor is that it doesn't involve backtracking).

Some places are definitely worth two, three, or possibly even four night stays, but a lot of places can be seen easily in a one night stay.

If you mix up a couple of one-nighters with going to a place that merits a longer stay, and repeat that sequence over the course of a holiday, you're not packing bags all the time.

Japan is such an easy country to travel in that being on the move isn't a problem. It's also a country where it's easy to travel light (most people's objections to moving often are along the lines of "But what about my humungous amount of luggage?").

by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visit many cities or focus on a few? 2015/3/16 21:48
With 28 days, you would not have to rush through things.
For the major cities you highlighted E.g. Tokyo, Sapporo, Kyoto, Osaka you could settle in each for three to five days.

Using this time to explore the city and areas slightly off away from the city (E.g. Sapporo to Otaru or Tokyo to Nikko)

You could then spend some time in-between cities too.
For example, between Tokyo and Kyoto is Mt Fuji, Ito, Atami, Nagoya, Kanazawa. (By Shinkansen)
Between Tokyo and Sapporo is Hirosaki, Matsushima, Hakodate.

Also, since Osaka does not have too many attractions and is near Kyoto, you could just spend a full week in either city to explore both cities and the surrounding area.

In this way, you would the chance to explore your main cities. If you get bored of them, you can go to nearby cities. (Due to Japan efficient train system you can go from the northern to the southern most Shinkansen station in a day yet alone between two nearby cities)
Also, you can enjoy cities in between the major cities.

Major cities being Kyoto and Tokyo. The traditional and modern capitals of Japan. (Osaka being the culinary capital, though Kyoto and Tokyo do have great food too albeit the higher price)
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visit many cities or focus on a few? 2015/3/16 22:13
In the end, it's up to your travel style and where you want to go.

Sometimes, I use base when transport is convenient to travel outwards (shinkansen access example, Hokkaido will be bad example to have a base due to lack of shinkansen aka longer travel time, except for nearer area).

Sometimes, I just travel in one direction cutting through regions etc.

Things to consider to use as base or not probably depends on what you want to do/go, the ease of transport between your base and your destination and accommodation etc.
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: Visit many cities or focus on a few? 2015/3/17 07:27
Tokyo to Sapporo and back is fair amount of mid vacation travel. I would have chosen to start or end the trip from Sapporo rather than fly in and out of Tokyo which will force you to spend more money and time on trains or flights. I loved the train ride between the two, and wouldnft call it a waste of time but once is enough for a vacation if you can help it.

I say mix it up a bit, Ifd use Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka as a base for several days which will allow you to see as much of the city as you like, and if you get bored there are countless side trips that you can easily do in a day and get back to your accommodations for the night. I would do linear travel between Tokyo and Sapporo and try to stay in some small cities or towns to get a feel for the more rural parts of Japan. If youfre not traveling during a peak season you can even just book your accommodations as you go. Thatfs normally how I do it.

Lot of good advice above too, youfre in good hands on this forum. Your 28 should be great no matter what way you decide to do it. Enjoy your stay in Japan!
by Higgz rate this post as useful

Re: Visit many cities or focus on a few? 2015/3/17 07:52
I'll land in Tokyo and spend 5 nights there. After that, I'll fly to Fukuoka and then take a Shinkansen to Kagoshima where I'll spend one night.
After that it's:
Kumamoto-1
Nagasaki-1
Fukuoka-1
Hiroshima-3
Matsuyama-1
Okayama-1
Matsue-1
Kobe-1
Osaka-1
Kanazawa-2
Kesennuma-5
Hakodate-1
Sapporo-2

I'll fly back to Haneda and then go to Narita, spend the night and leave the following morning..

I'll use Kesennuma as a base for my Sanriku Coast trips to Ishinomaki, Minamisanriku, Rikuzentakata and Ofunato. Lodging in this area is scarce and Kesennuma is in the middle, and one train away from Ichinoseki (Tohoku Shinkansen).

From Fukuoka-Kagoshima to the Hakodate-Sapporo run, I'll be using a 21-day JR Pass and I'll be taking trains between those days.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Visit many cities or focus on a few? 2015/3/17 09:51
Dear john
Do recognize that Kagoshima should spend about 2 full days
2.5 even better

With sakurajima
Ibusuki
Kirishima
And the museums that showcase the jomon period
You would need more time
by Joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visit many cities or focus on a few? 2015/3/17 10:18
These are what I call "recon trips", where I try to hit many places to see which ones I'll return to next year.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Visit many cities or focus on a few? 2015/3/18 08:54
Are you planning to return back to Japan within the next year or two?

If not, visit as much cities or town as you can. But what I would recommend is that the last location you visit should be in a area with night life. Why? So you can enjoy the city at night.

If you are planning to return, I still say visit as much city or town as you can because when you return, you can go back to the city you like and really check it out and enjoy it.

With 28 days, you can give your self down time to relax and visit the local area your at.

Just remember you can do night sight seeming. Yes you may not be able to go in, but you can walk around and view it. Also, yes you can do a city in a day. If you set it up right.

Here my tips

1) Get up early and get there before it open. 2) visit 3 to 4 location Max. If you the type that can push yourself and body hit 4 to 5 location. 3) set a time limit at each location. Your there for 28days so you have room to breath and revisit that spot. 4) plan out your rout before you go. 5) talk to everyone you meet. Each person can give you place to visit that other may not know.
by JustMe (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visit many cities or focus on a few? 2015/3/23 03:51
Wow... I'm blown away by all your thoughtful responses... I am touched that such a community cares for one person's travels... I appreciate everyone's responses, thank you so much!

I will take advice from everyone's input. The base makes great sense in some areas for me, while on other legs of the trip I feel I could see many cities and not need to to stay there so long. Yes, of course everything is based on what I want to do and see on the trip, ultimately, but I think I just needed to hear this from others than through the scramble of possibilities and uncertainty in my head on such a first time trip like this for me!

I just started an instagram, inspired by my trip. Nothing much is on there now, but as I get closer to my trip, and of course, when I'm Japan I will post pictures of these great memories. Feel free to add me on. I feel it's the least I can do to share on your support for me on this trip. My instagram name is: gaijinbran

I hope you all are well and if any other questions I have i'll trust to ask them here! When I come back from my trip, I'll be sure to pay it forward through my experience! Take care!

Brandon
by Gaijinbran rate this post as useful

reply to this thread