Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Antihistamine & decongestant for flying 2015/3/18 15:27
I'll be flying to Japan this week and my ears are always in such great pain when the plane takes off and lands. I've tried chewing gum, yawning, as well as trying to pop my ears. It doesn't work. :(

I saw a lot of recommendations to take antihistamine or decongestant tablets. In the US, the most common antihistamine seems to be Benadryl and decongestant is Sudafed.

The pharmacy told me to take one before the flight and during the flight if necessary. However, Sedated isn't allowed in Japan if I recall. That means I would only be able to take Sudafed before I go through security, which wouldn't be 30 minutes before take off.

Has anyone taken these before or have any alternative options?

I really dread the pain. :(
by nightowl (guest)  

Re: Antihistamine & decongestant for flying 2015/3/18 16:11
Consult your doctor, rather than forum users. Proper medical advice is better than random anecdotes.
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Antihistamine & decongestant for flying 2015/3/18 19:46
I have taken Sudafed for flying and found it eased the discomfort. But I would ask your doctor too
by Hazel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Antihistamine & decongestant for flying 2015/3/18 22:17
You can try EarPlanes, special earplugs which will reduce the discomfort. I've used them for years and they made flying less painful. They are available at drugstores, supermarkets and at airports. I find that the larger airplanes flying on international routes seem to better regulate the cabin pressure resulting in less discomfort. I used to use decongestants, now only rely n the EarPlanes. Hope they will help you too.
by Dutch Ann rate this post as useful

Re: Antihistamine & decongestant for flying 2015/3/18 23:45
Alternative: Have you tried acupuncture for sinus congestion? I have found it very effective. I would start the Sudafed and antihistime well before your trip and use in combination with acupuncture. While Sudafed is not allowed for import there must be something available in a Japanese pharmacy that is equivalent that you could use while you are there and/or before your return trip.
by sjvacc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Antihistamine & decongestant for flying 2015/3/19 00:10
The pharmacy and doctor recommended Sudafed. I was just saying, if it's illegal in Japan, would I not be able to get through security with it and get on the plane with it?
by nightowl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Antihistamine & decongestant for flying 2015/3/19 19:37
I would think you would be OK going through security. They are only concerned with stopping you taking through anything which is banned in hand luggage in to the aircraft cabin. It is when you get to the customs / immigration control in Japan that there would be problems if you still had the Sudafed and hadn't taken it all. So for your journey to Japan, you would probably be OK, but you would be without it for the return journey.

This website gives some information.

http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-medimport.html

by ll1000 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Antihistamine & decongestant for flying 2015/3/21 03:52
I second the suggestion of EarPlanes, I put them in as soon as I sit down on the plane and only take them out when we reach altitude, and then I put them in as soon as I feel a slight change in pressure in my ears (usually ends up being 5 or 10mins before the pilot announces the descent!) and leave them in until the plane doors are open. I used to suffer before I discovered these, dont know where you are but I tend to get them from boots- I always manage to lose one between trips somehow!
by badlydg (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread