Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel during typhoon season 2015/3/20 02:52
I will be back in Japan in September, and this year I'll be traveling around Kyushu and to Yakushima to do some hiking. I know that typhoon season will be underway, and I'm wondering if I should be a bit more flexible with my plans, maybe even put off booking some flights and taking the train instead to avoid delays due to weather. I know that once when I was in Ishigaki and a typhoon was coming, I had to leave a day earlier to avoid being stuck on the island, and I can only assume that this could be the same problem I'll run into on the mainland as well, correct?
by Amyranth  

Re: Travel during typhoon season 2015/3/20 12:46
It is, of course, always a risk when you travel during that season, and impossible to predict. I don't think you really need to make alternate travel plans because it is so difficult to say if you'll really need to change anything or not.

And if a bad typhoon did approach, you're not going to have much more luck with trains than with planes anyway, so I say just book how you'd normally book, cross your fingers, and monitor the situation when the time comes. If it looks like a storm is heading your way, you can decide then. But you may be just fine.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Travel during typhoon season 2015/3/21 06:37
Pacific typhoons can occur at any time of the year, but more commonly between July and October (so it is a bit unfair to single out a single month).

The point is that you still need to make your plans, and if there is a storm that coincides with your plans, then make the change.

Typically you will have three days of tracking and information available before a major storm reaches wherever you happen to be.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread