Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Challenging hiking in Hakone 2015/3/21 11:52
Hello!

I plan to spend 2 days (one night) in the Hakone area.

1) Are there any good maps for some serious hiking around the lake and the Kamiyama + Komagatake mountains? (I did google it, at least in English...)

2) Any recommendations for not-your-usual-tourist-hike, but something really challenging for a day? and based on this - any recommendation where to stay: Togendai/Hakone-machi/other? Preferably - hostels and other social places :-)

ありがとう ございます,
Simon.
by SimonSan87  

Re: Challenging hiking in Hakone 2015/3/21 13:19
1) The only hiking map I have of that area suggests a route using the Komagatake ropeway. You take the ropeway to the top, then you walk to the real summit of the Komagatake, then do a round course to Kamiyama, and returns to the ropeway station.

There seems to be a narrow path that connects this route with the walk around Owakudani.

2) When you say challenging, you want more of a "climb" rather than just hiking? Around Hakone there isn't much "climbing." There are routes from, for example, from Hakone-yumoto to Tonomine to Myojogatake then to Gora, or from Hakone Checkpoint to Byobu-yama (kinda steep) then to Amazakechaya ("tea shop") on Hakone Kyukaido (old cobblestone walkway) back to Lake Ashi. There is a pleasant path from Sengoku all the way down to Togendai on the lake as well. (I've walked all except for the first one.)

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Challenging hiking in Hakone 2015/3/21 21:28
Thank you for the reply!
Do you know any online links for the trails/paths between the points you've mentioned?
by SimonSan87 rate this post as useful

Re: Challenging hiking in Hakone 2015/3/22 12:51
I was checking routes from a Japanese book I have at hand - let me see if I can find something similar online. I've seen hiking course website, with photos, but without any precise maps so far.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Challenging hiking in Hakone 2015/3/22 16:12
I thought this hike was challenging during rainy season, but it may not be very difficult this time of year.

http://traveljapanblog.com/wordpress/2010/07/hakone-hike/
by acase (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Challenging hiking in Hakone 2015/3/24 21:35
Thanks!
by SimonSan87 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread