Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

ATM card or US cash to change to yen 2015/3/24 03:06
I've heard of people getting to their destination only to find that their ATM card is blocked-even when they notified the bank, so in order to avoid that should I bring cash to exchange?
by Debra (guest)  

Re: ATM card or US cash to change to yen 2015/3/24 11:23
It doesn't hurt to have at least a few hundred USD (or the equiv in yen) on you when you arrive. That will probably give you enough cash to hold you over until you could fix a potential atm hold.

btw, I've encountered an atm hold in the past and was able to clear it up in about 2 mins by calling my bank.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: ATM card or US cash to change to yen 2015/3/24 11:28
I'd bring cash just to make sure you're covered. I always do the exchange beforehand so I have some cash just in case when traveling internationally.
by Bootscooter rate this post as useful

Re: ATM card or US cash to change to yen 2015/3/24 23:51
I would do half and half, as in bring a few hundred US dollars to exchange at the airport (or you could do traveler's checks for better rates) and exchange a hundred dollars for yen before you arrive. That way you'll have both currencies at the same time.
by yozakura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: ATM card or US cash to change to yen 2015/3/25 01:44
Thanks to ATM machines the use of Traveller's Checks is declining, not every bank issues them anymore. When we went to Japan in 2013 we wanted to bring some Traveller's Checks for emergencies, but had a hard time getting them here in the USA. In the end we didn't really use them. We had no problem using ATM machines at the Post Office and also used our credit card when possible. Credit cards usually have great exchange rates.
by Dutch Ann rate this post as useful

Re: ATM card or US cash to change to yen 2015/3/25 12:20
Thank you all for your answers, now I know that I will take cash and my debit card
!
by Debra (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread