Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Overnight at train station 2015/3/25 17:38
Hi,

My friend and I will be visiting Japan for the first time this May. From Tokyo, we'll be going to Osaka, Kyoto, Takayama and back to Tokyo. From Kyoto to Takayama, we'll be taking a train departing at 10.18 pm from Kyoto and expected to arrive at Takayama the following day at 7.30 am. According to Hyperdia apps, at Mino-Ota Station, we will have to wait from 12.32 am to 5.00 am until we can board the next train to Takayama our final destination.

My question is, can we sleep and just wait at the station until our train arrive at 5.00 am or do we have to stay overnight at nearby hotel? I prefer to just wait at the train station as it is just about 4 hours plus. I read somewhere saying train station will be closed after 1.00 am. I tried searching the closing time for Mino-Ota Station specifically but couldn't find any. Appreciate your opinion and assistance on this matter.Thanks in advance.
by Alia (guest)  

Re: Overnight at train station 2015/3/25 20:00
Many train stations have shutters like the stores in Europe and they shut them down, preventing anyone from entering. I find it best to secure lodging elsewhere.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Overnight at train station 2015/3/25 21:22
Hi,
I wonder why not to leave Kyoto in earlier time. It takes less than four hours by the train, JR Super Express Wide View Hida 25.
For example, if you took the train, 8;34 AM, you could arrive at Takayama at 12:15 PM, without chaning trains.
It costs 7130 JPY.
Why don't you think of this ?

I took this train to Takayama from Nagoya last month, the seat is on a higher platform and spacious. Their big windows help passengers enjoy viewing scenery.

Yellowpop
by yellowpop rate this post as useful

Re: Overnight at train station 2015/3/25 22:00
Alternatively, leave Kyoto late, get the last train to Nagoya, stay in Nagoya, then get the first wideview Hida train in the morning.

That way, you get the whole of the wideview journey in daylight (which is mainly the point of it), and arrive in Takayama nice and early.
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Overnight at train station 2015/3/26 00:13
Hi John B, thanks for your suggestion.

Hi Yellowpop, thanks for your suggestion. Yes we're aware of that of course :) It's just that we purposely want to take the last train out of Kyoto because we want to spend the day in Kyoto since we have only limited time in Kyoto. But yes will probably change my itinerary and depart from Kyoto earlier. I'll be using the JR Pass.

Hi Winter Visitor, thanks for your suggestion. How's the view during daytime? Is it something that I can't missed out? Cause I don't have many options due to lack of time. Have to arrive in Takayama early in the morning to start my Shirakawago tour at 8.00 am.
by Alia (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Overnight at train station 2015/3/26 00:37
Ah, I see. Didn't realise you were trying to get to Takayama before 8am.

I'd still see if the first train from Nagoya doesn't allow you to get there in time. The Wideview Hida is famous for its views. It basically follows a valley with a river in it pretty much all the way up to Takayama. The scenery is lovely, and the train - as its name suggests - has extra big windows to let you get as much of the view as possible.

If you google it, you'll find pictures (as well as several threads on this forum), so you can make your own mind up.

You could always take one of the other buses to Shirakawa, which leave from directly outside Takayama train station (see http://www.japan-guide.com/bus/shirakawago.html for timetable). It doesn't take long to look round Shirakawa.

Personally, I couldn't imagine travelling basically all night, including sleeping out for 4 hrs on a station platform (assuming that you are able to sleep on the station - and I doubt that you will be), and then expecting to be in any fit state to enjoy a tour at the other end. But we're all different....
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Overnight at train station 2015/3/26 00:51
Thanks a lot for your reply! Appreciate it, Winter Visitor.
by Alia (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread