Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shuten/shushaku etc 2015/4/2 19:46
When travelling in Japan by train I noticed they say shuten at the final station. However when going to Hokkaido and using trains they say what sounds like "shushaku" instead. What does this mean and why the difference?
by Jojo (guest)  

Re: Shuten/shushaku etc 2015/4/2 22:51
It is just slight variations of saying the same. It is similar to "last station" vs. "final station" in English, etc. Different regional companies are following slightly different conventions.

Another example is doa (Kanto) vs. tobira (Kansai) for train door related announcements (I think).
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Shuten/shushaku etc 2015/4/2 23:09
It probably was "shuchaku" or "shuchaku eki" ("eki" meaning "station").

"Shuten" is (literally) "end point," and "shuchaku (eki)
" is "terminating station," or "terminal."

I checked a question forum (in Japanese) about the difference, and noone seems to know the answer :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Shuten/shushaku etc 2015/4/3 00:30
Maybe it is a region oriented way of saying it, as you said.

It was just such a sudden difference as I flew from Fukuoka to Sapporo, the train announcement said "shuchaku". Of course everything is a bit different from southern Japan, nature, climate, etc so I guess it makes some sense :)
by Jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread