Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traveling From Tokyo To Osaka 2015/4/9 20:27
Hello All, I am visiting Tokyo in September for a few weeks. For a weekend away I would like to visit the Kansai region of Japan. For example, Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara, Wakayama etc. The Shinkansen train from Tokyo to Shin-Osaka costs about 14,000 yen for one way. Which is a bit on the pricey side. I am wondering if there any other trains that go to Osaka from Tokyo? I know it will be a longer journey and less comfort but I don't want to pay about 28,000 for a return ticket. I have had look online but can't find anything. If anyone can give me information I would appreciate it!
by Mark (guest)  

Re: Traveling From Tokyo To Osaka 2015/4/9 20:56
U can take overnight bus willer express which is more cheaper(about 3500++) and u can save the hotel cost too.

by red (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling From Tokyo To Osaka 2015/4/9 22:20
If you arrive in Japan as a tourist, you can buy the Japan Rail Pass while you are still in your home country. If you travel a lot with JR and Shinkansen, it's really worth it. That's the fast and easy way.
If you are on a budget or just want to save money, you could take a bus (I just did that last week). The trip takes about 8 hours, I would recommend to use a Night Bus, so you also save a night in a hotel. It's far from relaxing and comfortable though and I would only recommend it if you are up for an adventure or if you want to save money. I used Willer Express and I can recommend them. You can reserve the ticket on their website and pay in a Konbini for example, it's very easy. Enjoy your trip!
by CaroFromGermany rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling From Tokyo To Osaka 2015/4/10 10:01
ANA has the Japan Experience ticket. 10,000 yen for a plane ticket from any airport to any other airport. That'll be cheaper than the train ticket. Although, I find having to suffer take off/landing/boarding time to be not worth the savings.

You can take a day bus, night bus (you cannot gawk at Mt Fuji as the bus goes past if it is at night), overnight train (Sunrise Izumo), or get a 7 Day JR Pass for unlimited rides on JR trains and buses (subject to conditions).
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling From Tokyo To Osaka 2015/4/10 10:12
You could try a budget airline like Peach. There won't be much of a time saving as previously stated, because you have to factor in getting to/from the airport and being at the airport a certain amount of time before the flight, but the cost will be less than the shinkansen (I flew Tokyo to Osaka, with checked luggage, for about AUD$70 with Peach). If you've got time before you need to book, watch out for flight specials - they have them about once a month.
I'd still prefer to travel by shinkansen (it's an experience!), and a 7-day Japan Rail Pass will pay off for a return trip between Tokyo and the Kansai area. Plus, you can use it on the Osaka JR loop line, and between Osaka-Kyoto-Nara.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling From Tokyo To Osaka 2015/4/15 06:00
Thanks guys for taking the time and responding to my question. I appreciate your advice you have been a great help.
by Mark (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread