Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

One day: Ashikaga and Nikko Shrine 2015/4/15 02:42
Is it possible to start off the day early at Ashikaaga Flower Park, and then check out Nikko Shrine by noon before coming back to Tokyo around evening, all in one day?

I am trying to see if the 3-day Kanto pass would make sense as I would like to take the Shinkansen (faster than regular trains) but also more expensive if bought as ala carte.
by Yanni (guest)  

Re: One day: Ashikaga and Nikko Shrine 2015/4/16 13:33
I think it is possible to enjoy Ashikaga Flower Park and Nikko in a day. Ashikaga park open 9:00am and you need arrive at JR Tomita station at 8:30.
Assuming return to Tomita station at 10:30, you can get JR train 10:52 and arrive Tobu Nikko at 12:32. If you want to return to Tokyo(Asakusa) at 18:00, you can use the Tobu train at 15:36 and return Asakusa station at 18:05. It cost 1358yen. And you can use also express train.

Last year I stayed Nikko and visited Nikko shrine and then move to Ashikaga park and return Tokyo ( Shinjyuku ). To travel Nikko, it is easy to use Tobu line not JR line.

I suggest you to use JR from Tokyo to Tomita station (Ashikaga Park) and Tomita to Shimoimaichi station. Change JR to Tobu line at Shimoimaichi, It takes 10 minutes from Shimoimaichi to Tobu-Nikko. And Use Tobu line from Tobu Nikko to Asakusa.

Enjoy!
by Hiro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One day: Ashikaga and Nikko Shrine 2015/4/16 15:31
Thanks Hiro!

Can I just ask if getting the 3-day Kanto pass for this 1-day trip is worth it? I am checking Hyperdia but knowing that you have gone on this trip before, you might be able to advise me better.

Did you finish the trip to Nikko and Ashikaga Flower Park in 1 day?

Yanni
by Yanni (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One day: Ashikaga and Nikko Shrine 2015/4/17 13:39
Hi ,

I checked Kanto Area pass.
Kantoh area pass is 8,300 yen for three consecutive days.

I checked Train fare. 1st, local train from Tokyo to Tomita (1,944 yen, IC ticket), Tomita to Tobu-nikko(1,058 yen), and express train from Tobu-nikko to Asakusa(2,698yen). Total is 5,700 yen.

At Nikko you need to use bus to Nikko shrine.

To take a shinkansen at JR Utsunomiya station, you need to move from JR Nikko to JR Utsunomiya. Trains at Utsunomiya line is not so frequently and it takes 45 minutes.
It is convenient to use Tobu asakusa line, and cheaper than 3 days Kanto area pass. But If you purchase 3 days pass, you can use JR train for 2 more days.
If you have any plan to visit another place by JR it is better to use 3 days pass.

One more thing about Nikko shrine. The famous Nikko gate named 'Yo-meimon' has been repairing now. You cannot see it.

Hiro.
by Hiro (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread