Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Icoca & Haruka 2015/5/3 05:10
hi!
heres another question about the ICOCA & Haruka card
we are planing to visit Kyoto-Nara-Osaka
would it be worth buying the ICOCA & Haruka card?

first day: Kansai airport-Kyoto
and then we'll be staying in Kyoto for 3days visiting the main attractions
4th day - whole day in Nara
5-7th day we will be Osaka also visiting the main attractions

so would it be worth purchasing the ICOCA & Haruka card for travelling between and around the different cities?
And i know in Kyoto its better to travel using the buses, can you use the ICOCA card on buses? or would it be better to buy a Kyoto City buses pass for 500 yen?

thanks!
by mimi (guest)  

Re: Icoca & Haruka 2015/5/3 12:57
Yes, Icoca & Haruka would be the recommended ticket!

And i know in Kyoto its better to travel using the buses

Some people think that way, but I personally disagree. I avoid buses whenever possible because they are often slow, packed and inconvenient. Instead, I use rail bound transportation whenever possible.

can you use the ICOCA card on buses?

Yes, Icoca has become accepted on Kyoto City Buses as of last December. (A small number of buses by other companies do not accept Icoca yet, though.)

t be better to buy a Kyoto City buses pass for 500 yen?

On days that you know you will be using buses more than twice, the 1-day pass will pay off. But it does not mean that you should not buy the Icoca&Haruka ticket, as well.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Icoca & Haruka 2015/5/4 05:48
Hi!
thank you so much for answering!

we will be arriving at KIX at 10.20pm, do you think we will be able to catch the last train to kyoto station and also pick up the icoca and haruka card? or will it be best to just stay the night at the airport?

thanks!
by mimi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Icoca & Haruka 2015/5/4 12:13
we will be arriving at KIX at 10.20pm

Assuming you arrive via an international flight, there is a good risk that you will not have enough time. The last departure to Kyoto is around 23:09. Note also that the last connection requires two transfers along the way and takes almost two hours. So you won't arrive in Kyoto until around 1am. So, even if you were to make the connection, I would consider it inconvenient.

For the above reasons, I recommend to spend the first night at a hotel in or near the airport.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Icoca & Haruka 2015/5/4 12:15
The last Haruka train Haruka 48 leaves KIX at 10:16 pm. No way! Stay at the airport and enjoy the sight under the sun on the way to Kyoto in the next morning.
http://kanku.mi-ktt.ne.jp/time/1320.html
by Luisjp rate this post as useful

reply to this thread