Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Methods for Learning Japanese 2015/6/1 15:26
Hello. I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to how I can keep myself focused while learning Japanese? I know this is kind of a personal question but I've been at lost with the language. I want to learn and speak Japanese but the methods of teaching I've been given by my advisors don't help. They can give me thousands of learning books but I still wouldn't be able to grasp the language as well as the other kids.

Personally I think I learn languages better by music. Considering that I know multiple songs in other languages, I thought music could help me with Japanese but I don't think my teachers or the students would appreciate me singing Disney songs in Japanese during class.

Does anyone have any techniques as to how to learn the language?

Thanks!
by Chloe (guest)  

Re: Methods for Learning Japanese 2015/6/1 19:17
Keep writing and speaking repeat and repeat, 100 or 1000 times. That's how Japanese pupils learning at schools.
Ask your Japanese teacher to heck your pronunciation frequently.
Once you have remembered a wrong accent, it's difficulty to get back to the formal accent.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Methods for Learning Japanese 2015/6/1 19:18
Keep writing and speaking repeat and repeat, 100 or 1000 times. That's how Japanese pupils learning at school.
Ask your Japanese teacher to heck your pronunciation frequently.
Once you have remembered a wrong accent, it's difficulty to get back to the formal accent.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Methods for Learning Japanese 2015/6/1 23:38
Maybe the Rosetta Stone method is for you. But, it is expensive.

http://www.rosettastone.com/learn-japanese
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Methods for Learning Japanese 2015/6/2 11:00
The best thing to do is to make Japanese apart of your daily life, it's the only way you can learn Japanese without setting a time for it,
For example:
I listen to Japanese music, I follow Japanese people on social media, so I see Japanese without even setting as aside a time for it if you get really busy, there are also many people and things to help you even on this website. Remember, whatever you don't use, doesn't stay in your head.
by Kisukeyo rate this post as useful

Re: Methods for Learning Japanese 2015/6/5 00:10
I'm on a short timeline to learn Japanese(by late august) and I've got a few pieces of advice.

***1. LEARN THE ALPHABET! - nearly all practical learning resources force you into reading the kana. I've been putting this off and it's definitely hindering my progress. Make flashcards, buy flashcards, whatever, but be sure to do yourself this MAJOR favor to help facilitate learning.
**2. Listen to the spoken language - I'm listening to Pimsleur lessons on my commute to work each day. the lessons are 30 minutes each and the arrangement is extremely practical and comprehensive. Be prepared though, they accelerate quickly . Shortcomings for this type of learning: you have NO idea really what the words translate to in text. if you search a dictionary later for a translation(or Google translate), it's likely very different. Also, sometimes they repeat clearly and explain, other times they introduce a new piece of grammar and you have no idea why it exists in the sentence structure, which brings me to number 4 below.
*3. Get a text like Genki I (recommend edition 2, it has all the fixes from the first edition). Again, starting in the first couple of
4. Get a hand sized grammar book to supplement what you are hearing and reading in texts.
5. Phone apps- there are plenty of free apps to help learn
*6. Groupon - I got Rocket Languages Japanese for like $20 bucks a couple years ago. Even though it says your membership is only valid for XX months, it doesnt really expire.
7. Watch cartoons and anime. kissanime.com is a great website that has free anime in both english and japanese. Watch the elementary stuff.

Good luck and enjoy!
by Schmanda rate this post as useful

reply to this thread