Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Should I be worried about food poisoning? 2015/6/3 08:52
Travelling to Osaka in September.
I am worried about the risk of food poisoning, specifically something life threateningly serious such as dyssentry, e-coli etc.
I know there's every time you eat out anywhere in the world, and Japan is a developed nation, but I suppose I am just seeking reassurance that there's no need to panic. I am from Ireland so I'm not accustomed to eating raw fish and Asian food. I was really looking forward to sampling Japanese cuisine and trying lots of sushi and local delicacies, but this worry about the risk of getting ill has really dampened my spirits for the approaching trip.
Can anyone offer any advice??
Thank you!
by louise (guest)  

Re: Should I be worried about food poisoning? 2015/6/3 12:00
No, don't worry! As long as you are eating properly prepared food, you'll be fine (and raw dishes are so common in Japan, so the safety standards are well developed). If you are concerned, don't eat from street food vendors and stick to restaurants/cafes - this is the safest bet.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I be worried about food poisoning? 2015/6/3 12:03
There was an outbreak of e-coli a few years back due to raw beef dishes, but the resulting crackdown afterward reinforced to me the fact that Japan takes food safety very seriously.

Of course there's always the risk of stomach discomfort when eating unfamiliar foods, but I wouldn't worry too much about food poisoning. But if you really want to be careful than stick to the more established restaurants rather than the hole in the wall dives.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Should I be worried about food poisoning? 2015/6/3 12:09
When travelling in asia - I normally stick to the following rule.

If it's busy with locals - go there. If there is no-one there, then maybe not.

However, Japan has strong food safety laws and I worry less about food poisoning in Japan than I do in Europe or Australia.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Should I be worried about food poisoning? 2015/6/3 13:41
Japan is one of the safest places - food hygiene wise - I think that you could ever encounter. Nationally they have about 1,000 incidents and maybe 20-30,000 people a year affected, out of a population of 120 million (1 in 4,000) - figures from Department of Food Safety. The number that die is very low (less than 10).

A quick search showed 1 in 6 people in the USA will get food poisioning each year and 3,000 die.

You might get sick if you are allergic to something.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Should I be worried about food poisoning? 2015/6/3 14:35
You are no more likely to get food poisoning in Japan than you are in Ireland- do you worry about this kind of thing normally? What has made you so worried about getting food poisoning in Japan? This is a very developed country with excellent hygiene standards, there is certainly nothing to panic about.
by Dricera (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I be worried about food poisoning? 2015/6/3 15:56
Japan is my favorite nation to go on vacation because it's so clean and safe. I have never gotten sick from the food in Japan. You will be fine.
by gsdubs rate this post as useful

Re: Should I be worried about food poisoning? 2015/6/3 16:19
I would worry more about catching it at home than in Japan.
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I be worried about food poisoning? 2015/6/3 22:17
You are more likely to suffer Guinness poisoning in Ireland than food poisoning in Japan. Go with the flow, otherwise you will have a panic attack at every mealtime. The food is great so just embrace the culture
by couldabeen rate this post as useful

Re: Should I be worried about food poisoning? 2015/6/3 23:38
Thanks everyone!
I feel very much reassured.
by louise (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I be worried about food poisoning? 2015/6/4 09:24
Not once did I suffer any food poisoning or discomfort after eating food in Japan. And I ate everything from sushi & sashimi to tempura and ramen. So you honestly shouldn't worry about getting food poisoning while in Japan. As other posters above me have already said. Japan takes food hygiene very seriously and the last thing a restaurant would want is for news to spread that they have giving someone food poisoning. So go out there and enjoy the fantastic food that Japan has to offer. The only thing you'll have to worry about is a bigger stomach once you return to Ireland!

-----

Oh and a final note. I've eaten fugu twice in the past and I am alive.
by Kari Haruka rate this post as useful

Re: Should I be worried about food poisoning? 2015/6/4 13:21
I suppose many people from abroad might be anxious about the safety of raw fishes.
I have ever studied the antibacterial property of the wasabi.
The main component of wasabi and mastard is the natural allylisothiocyanate AITC.

I was surprised that old people had known the reasonable way to keep safety of sushi and sashimi.

If you buy the Bento at stations in Japan, you will see there is a transparent film inside.
by biwakoman (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I be worried about food poisoning? 2015/6/4 13:31
The transparent film contain the extract from wasabi.

http://www.mfc.co.jp/wasaouro/e/about/index.html
by biwakoman (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I be worried about food poisoning? 2015/6/4 20:40
I wouldn't worry about food poisoning,

BUT if you aren't used to eating raw fish I wouldn't go all out immediately. You could try a few dishes the first day and see if your stomach can take it :)
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Should I be worried about food poisoning? 2015/6/4 21:13
Should I be worried about food poisoning [in Osaka]?

No

by Lady Kodaira rate this post as useful

Re: Should I be worried about food poisoning? 2015/6/5 10:07
Other additional information.

Some people take sushi or sashimi out.

In most case, it is written that "this must be eated till # o'clock" on the package.
#時までにお食べください。

This comment is made because the sushi or sashimi kept long time
are not safe.
Especially you had better taking care to eat taked out sushi without wasabi inside.

http://www.sbfoods-worldwide.com/foodCulture/wasabi/secret.html#histor...
by biwakoman rate this post as useful

reply to this thread