Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yamanaka pref. tatoo policy 2015/6/9 21:17
Hi,
I found a JTB tour to Mt Fuji summit and back, including a visit to a local onsen Benifuji-no-Yu. The remark however says tatoos are not allowed in the onsen and I would be unable to enter, probably not getting a refund either.

Would it not be possible to cover the tatoo up somehow? It is located on the upper arm, about 5x10 cm, depicting the trifoce symbol from The Legend of Zelda...
by Unton (guest)  

Re: Yamanaka pref. tatoo policy 2015/6/10 11:25
I guess you mean Yamanashi prefecture. It is probably the facility's policy, not of the prefecture.

If you were not informed of that "no-tattoo" policy in advance, and if that constitutes a big attraction of the tour, I would consult the tour operator to see if you can cancel it. Still without the onsen, I would say the tour would be a good experience, though.

I hope someone else can come up with a way to cover it.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yamanaka pref. tatoo policy 2015/6/10 11:56
Covering it with a large bandaid often works, although there is always the risk that you are asked to leave. Try to do it before arriving at the onsen and make sure it isn't visible when entering the facility.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Yamanaka pref. tatoo policy 2015/6/10 17:23
I would rather avoid being told to leave after already entering the facility and probably already changed out of clothing. Of course I would like to do the tour itself, the onsen would make it a good finish though. I know even the Onsen Monogatari in Tokyo prohibits tatoos. Of course I could remove it but it is a little expensive just for that short occation. I understand if it appears as not good considering the yakuza connection but covering it up ought to give some understanding I hoped.
by Unton (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yamanaka pref. tatoo policy 2015/6/10 18:59
Covering it up should mitigate the risk, but there is always the chance that you could be asked to leave at an onsen with a clear no tattoos policy.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Yamanaka pref. tatoo policy 2015/6/10 19:29
Well I'd rather ask the trip arranger about skipping this. The only time in an "onsen" was in fact where mostly non-japanese people were staying and where I could rent the bath for private use.
by Unton (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yamanaka pref. tatoo policy 2015/6/10 23:34
This topic comes up every week.

I've been to dozens of onsen and I've stayed overnight in onsen hotels about 20 times too. I've lived in Japan for a long time and have always had tattoos. One on my left forearm, colored. Another up on my right upper arm, full color too, and at least as big as the one you have.

Just cover it with a bandage if you are really concerned. MANY of the onsen I've been to have had signs up that said tattoos were prohibited, but I very rarely ever had someone say something to me about it. In fact, there is usually almost no one in the bathing areas (unless it's a really really popular one) - least of all staff.

If the onsen is inside a hotel and you are a guest at the hotel, I'd almost guarantee you that no one will say a word to you.
Even when someone did say something, I didn't get kicked out. I was already in the water and a employee came to me and said tattoos were prohibited in Japanese. I said I was sorry and would cover it up next time, and that seemed good enough for him.

Where your tattoo is, it is *highly* unlikely to be spotted before you are naked and into the water. Even then, it's unlikely anyone will notice it even uncovered. Even if they do notice it, *most* won't say anything to you. Then, even if they DO say something, you can still wriggle out of it by promising to cover up later. It's not like they are going to say OHHHHHH NO SIR, GET OUT OF THE WATER NOW. They won't unless they have a real h**d on to kick a foreigner out of their establishment.

So, if you are really worried, just cover it with a thin bandage. No one will notice or care until it's too late. Don't let your experience be spoiled by worrying about some draconian rule that isn't even enforced 99% of the time anyways.

Basically it's an outdated rule that is still hanging around. Now, if you go ahead and blab to the staff and directly tell them that you have a tattoo and ask if it's okay, then you'll be giving them no choice but to actually respond. It's one of those "I didn't see it so it doesn't exist" kind of things man. 99% of the time they really don't want to see your tattoo and they abhor having to say anything to you about it. So just keep quiet and you will be fine.
by Bolo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread