Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best high-end sushi restaurant in Tokyo 2015/6/18 11:11
Hi guys! My boyfriend and I are going to Japan sometime next year for our anniversary, and we've heard about a sushi place called Jiro. However, upon reading the reviews about how it's too rushed and how there are other better sushi joints, we were wondering if anyone can recommend other places.

Our budget is around Y50,000 a person, and we just want to find a sushi restaurant that's worth trying for the amount that we're willing to spend (It's one of those, splurge once, and never again, so we want the food to be truly remarkable and memorable).

Japanese-only restaurants are no problem since my boyfriend speaks native Japanese and I can also speak fluently. We're just afraid from the reviews about Jiro's treatment to foreigners so we might not be able to enjoy the meal. Thanks!
by nelze (guest)  

Re: Best high-end sushi restaurant in Tokyo 2015/6/18 17:26
You could always try Jiro's son's restaurant in Roppongi; easier to get reservations and a more relaxed experience. (2 Michelin stars)

Or any of these:

Sushi Mizutani in Ginza (3 Michelin stars)
Sushi Sawada in Ginza (2 Michelin stars)
Sushi Saito in Roppongi (3 Michelin stars)
Sushi Iwa in Ginza (1 Michelin star)
Sushi Yoshitake in Ginza (3 Michelin stars)
by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

Re: Best high-end sushi restaurant in Tokyo 2015/6/18 19:56
Thanks for the suggestions! Is there a specific one among those that you would personally recommend? :)
by nelze (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best high-end sushi restaurant in Tokyo 2015/6/21 10:40
Mizutani doesn't take bookings from foreigners.

You can google the story. Personally I'd go elsewhere.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best high-end sushi restaurant in Tokyo 2015/6/21 12:04
Oh I just read the story, I guess mizutani is off the table :( what about the other restaurants saru recommended? I was eyeing sushi Saito and sushi yoshitake.

Re: Best high-end sushi restaurant in Tokyo 2015/6/22 17:08
by Zarf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best high-end sushi restaurant in Tokyo 2015/6/22 17:57
"Mizutani doesn't take bookings from foreigners."

This isn't true at all. What he has said is that they are currently using a system whereby they only accept reservations from foreigners via concierge teams from top hotels and from credit card concierge departments.

This has nothing to do with discrimination against foreigners per se and everything to do with a business protecting itself from people who make reservations and then never show up. It's a sad fact that the vast majority of people who do this are not Japanese, hence their new policy.

OP and her boyfriend are very likely to be staying in a top hotel if they have a budget of 50000 per person for a meal so I suspect that using their concierge to make the booking isn't going to be a problem.

Re: Best high-end sushi restaurant in Tokyo 2015/6/22 18:36
Hello again Saru Bob! Just wanted to clarify some things. So Mizutani still accepts foreigners, but the reservation has to be made through a top hotel concierge? What do they classify as a top hotel concierge? Is it like 5-star hotels? So reservations made through something like 3-star hotels aren't accepted? Thanks!

Re: Best high-end sushi restaurant in Tokyo 2015/6/22 20:52
Hi nelze

Very few 3 star hotels have a concierge team but some 4 star hotels might and certainly hotels such as these will:
Peninsula
Aman Resort
Mandarin Oriental
Park Hyatt
Palace Hotel
4 Seasons
Conrad
Shangri La
Ritz Carlton

Where will you be staying? I'd suggest always using your concierge team to make restaurant reservations where possible, as this will make life much simpler for you.

Re: Best high-end sushi restaurant in Tokyo 2015/6/22 21:27
We haven't actually decided where to stay yet since it's still next year, but as you've given a really good list of hotels with concierge who can help us with reservations, it will help us a lot and we'll most likely stay in one of them! Thanks again!

Re: Best high-end sushi restaurant in Tokyo 2015/6/22 23:56
Hi,
thought i'd chime in;

I've been to Mizutani around two years ago, imho it was well worth the price; i plan to visit there again next year or so.

Unfortunately i do not remember which concierge i used; but it was either Keio Plaza or Park Hyatt (i think it was Hyatt).

Be flexible with your schedule, i reserved months before, and we got a slot at around 4PM (we were a group of 6 foreigners though).

All the best :)
by noir (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best high-end sushi restaurant in Tokyo 2015/6/23 00:02
Hey there! How many months before did you have to reserve? :D

Re: Best high-end sushi restaurant in Tokyo 2015/6/23 00:09
whoa, that is a good question ...
I think reservations open 2 or 3 months before ...

As soon as I had the hotel reservation confirmation, i mailed the concierge team at the hotel, and told them to do the reservation for me ... if I remember correctly, they phoned Mizutani on the day where reservations for my schedule opened.

by sekunoir rate this post as useful

reply to this thread