Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Lesbian couple in Japan? 2015/7/4 03:25
Hey guys! I've got a couple of questions. Me and my partner are travelling to Japan next year and I was just wondering if it is acceptable in Japan for us to hold hands or kiss?
Also, I'm educating myself on the culture and I was hoping you could give me some dos and don't.
Thanks!
by Lizzie (guest)  

Re: Lesbian couple in Japan? 2015/7/4 07:55
It's not better to do in public spaces. Japanese people don't tend to discriminate gay and lesbian couples but they simply don't understand why they kiss in public spaces.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Lesbian couple in Japan? 2015/7/4 16:57
It's fine and common for anyone to hold hands anywhere in Japan, and you might even be seen as ordinary friends instead of a gay couple.

But kissing in public just isn't that common even for male & female couples. You're free to do so, but be aware that it just isn't common.

By the way, Shibuya ward now distributes official papers for those who want to prove that they are a LGBT couple, and it's all over the media. So people will know what you mean when you say you are lesbians.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Lesbian couple in Japan? 2015/7/4 22:10
Holding hands will not be a problem at all - it's actually not that uncommon for female adult friends who are close to hold hands. I would however refrain from kissing in public though. This goes really for any relationship and really has nothing to do with being LBGT

As such - I agree with what was stated above. The Japanese tend to leave you alone unless you are being a nuisance or trying to gain attention (such as having flame red hair as an example)
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Lesbian couple in Japan? 2015/7/8 04:52
I live in Canada.
A couple of days after reading the posting 2 young women entered a rapid transit car in my hometown. One sat on the other lap, and they started kissing noisily ...for at least 5 or 6 stops..

I felt that they were trying to get a reaction from the other passengers, but no one said anything...
it is not as if we had never seen all sorts of couples kissing!

I had the same silent reaction " stop showing off" I have when a young heterosexual couple start kissing heavily in public while looking at us older people...
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread