Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Limited to Americans, English & Australian? 2015/7/24 11:34
I am so sorry. But the threads that I saw were like 100 days and older so I was hoping to get some answers here. I have already posted on existing threads with no replies so here goes.

I am currently a Language Coach (corporate training) for an American Company.

I am Filipino-Japanese and speak English with an American accent. I was born in Japan, went to an international school for preschool and then moved to the Philippines and finished my studies here.

I've always passed my English subjects with flying colors and I know for a fact that my English is better than most (here in the Philippines). I have a lot of "Native English Speakers" who tell me I speak really good, and sound American.

So my question is are they going to consider my application even if I am not a "Native English Speaker"?
by ladyviruz15  

Re: Limited to Americans, English & Australian? 2015/7/24 15:30
Unfortunately the question is not exactly how you sound - but more where you completed your schooling. To the best of my knowledge - you need to complete 12 years of schooling in an English speaking country or International School to be classed as an English First Language speaker.

You also need to have any completed university degree preferably in an English First Language country.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Limited to Americans, English & Australian? 2015/7/24 20:26
That answer doesn't sound "unfortunate" since it means that the OP is qualified. I'm sure mfedley knew that the official language of the Philippines is English.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Limited to Americans, English & Australian? 2015/7/25 00:31
English is actually one of the two official languages in the Philippines.

I went primary and secondary school here where almost all the classes were in English. The only exception was the Filipino subject.

I have a degree in IT, which I understand has got nothing to do with teaching but hopefully my background as a Language Coach would be enough for schools to consider.

What are my chances though? It's been 16 years since the last time I was in Japan and I really want to go back.
by ladyviruz15 rate this post as useful

Re: Limited to Americans, English & Australian? 2015/7/25 15:37
In that case - I have no idea what Japan will do. I've got quite a few Filipino friends who used to work in Japan however they were employed as teachers at international schools with extensive international experience. I'm not sure about your situation though.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Limited to Americans, English & Australian? 2015/7/25 16:51
What exactly is a "language coach" at an American company? I mean, who do you teach, and exactly what do you teach?

About your educational background/native or non-native speaker of English, I do not know how the Japanese immigration or English language schools would view your background.

By the way, your degree matters in that Japanese immigration requires a bachelor's degree for work visa in the teaching categories.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Limited to Americans, English & Australian? 2015/7/26 19:06
I am a Japanese citizen so is immigration still gonna check?

I work at an American call center. The people here already speak English but I coach them and help improve their soft skills.
by ladyviruz15 rate this post as useful

Re: Limited to Americans, English & Australian? 2015/7/26 23:19
I'm confused; what are you applying for?
by Harimogura rate this post as useful

Re: Limited to Americans, English & Australian? 2015/7/27 10:14
I am a Japanese citizen so is immigration still gonna check?

I don't think that was clear in your original post, but that basically changes everything. In that case it doesn't matter if you are a "native speaker" or not. Immigration is a non-issue so you can pretty much qualify for any job that will hire you.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Limited to Americans, English & Australian? 2015/7/27 12:35
Oh, if you have Japanese nationality (I had assumed you didn't!), then you can apply for any job you want in Japan, no restriction (meaning, there is no particular requirement from Immigration). You don't need any employer-sponsored work visa to work in Japan then.

However, whether potential employers would view your "coaching" as "English teaching experience" would be a different matter, as "coaching for call center skills" and "teaching English to non-native speakers of English" are two different things.

If you are looking for an English teaching position, you will be competing with native English speakers (some with experience, some others without), so it's up to the individual employer what they seek in their new hires. Possibly some schools that send its instructors to corporate offices to give lessons on "business English" might be interested.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread