Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

what does the word shimoto mean 2005/1/11 08:44
what does the word shimoto mean
by marshall  

. 2005/1/11 14:32
Never ever heard before. Could you tell us if this word is accompanied by some other words ? Otherwise, in which situation is this word used ?
by TOSHI rate this post as useful

what does the word shimoto mean 2005/1/12 08:08
It is together with shimoto ryu judo kwai
by marshall rate this post as useful

. 2005/1/12 14:43
OK. So, this is the name of a school of judo called Shimoto. As Shimoto is a proper noun, it may have either a meaning or no meaning at all but just a name of someone called Mr Shimoto? Anyway, if you show us Shimoto in kanji, we might tell you the meaning of each word of kanji.

shimoto (kanji) 2005/1/13 08:15
I went to a kanji site of how names are put together. I found this what do you think?

shi means poetry
moto means beginning,former time,orgin
could shimoto mean beginning of poetry?
by marshall rate this post as useful

. 2005/1/14 05:26
Hi. Now I know the Shimoto in kanji, it is supposed to be a family name. Judo is organised by Kodokan, so there is no school at all. I guess that a Japanese, who lived somewhere in US, founded a judo club called Shimoto, and the name is maybe, after his family name. This club should have founded at least 50 or 60 years age, because the club is called kwai, which is vanished and replaced by kai, these days.

shimoto (kanji) 2005/1/15 09:59
thanks for your help I will trygetting in touch with the person who naned the club and see if he can tale me where he got the name from. I will let you know what I find out.
by mMarshall rate this post as useful

shi-moto 2005/1/15 10:14
‰ºŒË: gate, hard to enter
Žu–{: act on own ideal
ŽmŒ³: formerly samurai
by washi rate this post as useful

another interpretation. 2005/1/15 10:20
‰ºŒË: gate, hard to enter
or
‰ºŒË: gate for common people
by washi rate this post as useful

another question on this word 2007/10/4 17:55
Recently, I've heard such a phrase in anime: 'sukoshi dake shimoto no okyaku-sama' and can't interpret the word 'shimoto' here. The whole phrase must mean something like 'customers who ... only a little bit'. Thanks if anyone could help me with this one.
by Adomatic rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/15 06:58
'sukoshi dake shimoto no okyaku-sama' and can't interpret the word 'shimoto' here.

Are you sure the word is really "shimoto" ?
"Shimoto" is not a word in daily Japanese vocabulary.

I guess the word may be "geko", which means "person who cannot drink
alcohol". It is written ‰ºŒË and could be erroneously read "shimoto".
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

Not Shimoto, but Shigoto? 2009/9/7 15:53
To Adomatic: if you've only heard the phrase and not seen it written out, could it be that you misheared "Shigoto" instead? Shigoto means "work", and when said with a soft 'g' so that 'shigoto' becomes 'shiNGOto', it sounds surprisingly like Shimoto.

Thus, "A person who cannot work"?

I realise this answer may be two years late, but oh well.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Not Shimoto, but Shigoto? 2009/9/7 15:54
Sorry, make that, "Customers who work only a little bit".
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread