Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Question on Unagi 2015/8/7 00:43
Hi,

I have a somewhat silly question on Unagi. Tried it once and didn't like it as there were many tiny fine bones. But I'm now wondering if that's because the chef didn't prepare it properly?

I'm planning a trip to Kawagoe which is famous for Unagi and it seems such a shame if I don't try it. Can anyone enlighten me if it does contain those tiny bones?

Thanks !!
by Singa (guest)  

Re: Question on Unagi 2015/8/7 11:11
There is no bone left Unagi if it's taken off properly.
Kanto style unagi cooking is steamed before grilled, whereas Kansai style is not steamed, directly grilled. If you ate unagi in Kansai or western side of Nagoya, try in Kanto include Kawagoe.
Eventhough if there are some bones left, you won't feel much as you eat due to steamed and grilled unagi. Try and visit a well known unagi restaurant, don't choose to visit cheap place.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Question on Unagi 2015/8/7 21:30
Unagi always has very a fine cartilaginous structure in its flesh, which is what gives it the distinctive segmented look. You don't have to worry about eating it though (unlike fish bones), and it's only really noticeable if the meat is overcooked and dried out. When it's nice and tender (as it should be in an area renowned for preparing it) the flesh will virtually melt in your mouth.

I've never encountered bad unagi in Japan, but some dishes just don't suit some people. On the other hand, no harm in giving it another go! Always an exception to the rule.

Great, just made myself hungry...
by 5HJack rate this post as useful

Re: Question on Unagi 2015/8/8 10:22
Thank you both for your replies. I shall give it another go in Kawagoe! :)
by Singa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question on Unagi 2015/8/10 07:33
It appears some people haven't heard about Unagi no seiromushi. That is how it is well known in Yamagawa, Fukuoka and all over my area in the western Japan. Seiromushi is a steaming method done in a wooden box with rice after grilling unagi basting with source. Unagi meat becomes plump and melts in your mouth and if there was any bones left, they disintegrated just like in a can of fish, i.e. tuna, salmon, etc. so you don't feel any bones.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question on Unagi 2015/8/10 10:49
As a further option, rather than the freshwater eel (unagi), you could try saltwater eel (anago) - quite a different taste.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread