Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Skyping at internet cafe / manga kissa... 2015/8/11 19:49
Hi,
I visited an internet café twice in Japan before and noticed the private booths there.

When abroad I want to make some Skyping with friends and family at home at least once for an hour or so.

Do internet cafés usually provide headsets and web camera?

How "loud" can I speak if in the private booth? I do not wish to disturb others but want to be able to speak as well.

Because of the time difference I cannot connect until about 20.00 or later, so it ought to be a 24 h open internet café....
by Skp (guest)  

Re: Skyping at internet cafe / manga kissa... 2015/8/20 01:31
They don't let you download any additional apps.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Skyping at internet cafe / manga kissa... 2015/8/20 07:47
I haven't used internet cafe often, but I've not been to one that has a headset and camera. AFAIK they're generally not set up for skype . A large part of the appeal for many people is that they can sleep there, which makes skype an unattractive option for net cafe.
If you have a devise that is wifi enabled, you might have more luck with free wifi from JR East / NTT etc.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Skyping at internet cafe / manga kissa... 2015/8/20 11:44
Internet cafes are generally really quiet places, and not really suited to skypeing. Usually they request that you make phone calls in the common areas away from the computers, so I don't see skypeing being viable presuming they even have the app installed.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Skyping at internet cafe / manga kissa... 2015/8/20 17:34
Is there any place more suitable for Skyping in that case? I really don't know where to put myself. I can of course use my smartphone on the WiFi of the hotel but I don't know how reliable it is (Toyoko Inn) really... Calling in Japan would be too expensive and being on a WiFi connection drains the battery fast also.
by Skp (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Skyping at internet cafe / manga kissa... 2015/8/20 18:09
Any talks inside internet cafes are strongly prohibited.
You can't even use HDD in internet cafes, thus unable to download any files include skype file.

You can bring you own PC to Toyoko inn.
I have never seen any free internet phones in public space where you can call and talk.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Skyping at internet cafe / manga kissa... 2015/8/20 18:28
Is there any place more suitable for Skyping in that case?

Best place is your hotel room. Most business hotels have free wired lan, so I bring a small portable router to make my own wifi spot in the room. They routers cost less than 2000 yen.

Worst case, they'll also have wifi in the lobby, but you're not really supposed to make phone calls there.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Skyping at internet cafe / manga kissa... 2015/8/20 19:01
I remember the WiFi connection in Toyoko Inn being both good and bad. One time id did not work very well and I had to get a new router for it.

Isn't there a LAN cable available for use by the way?

I recall they rent PC's for use, but maybe they dont come with webcamera?

Unless there is a way to connect a smartphone to the LAN cable somehow, a converter or something.
by Skp (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread