Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shirako, Have you ever eaten it? 2015/8/12 18:20
How does it taste? Are there any health benefits
http://thealpaca.hubpages.com/_21read/hub/Five-things-you-do-not-know-...
by Stingy Scoundrel  

Re: Shirako, Have you ever eaten it? 2015/8/12 18:35
I had it once when a friend ordered it. I didn't know what it was at the time, and the only explanation I got was "Well, it's kind of like caviar"...

From what I recall, it didn't have much of a taste, pretty much like egg white, but with a more pudding-like consistency.
by SA (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shirako, Have you ever eaten it? 2015/8/12 19:36
Yes. Enjoyed it.

I wouldn't say it was like caviar, given that it's neither salty nor is it in the form of lots of little eggs that pop in your mouth.

It's a reasonably neutral taste, more of a texture really. Not sure that it's something anyone would have a strong reaction of either love or hate to (psychological factors aside - although personally I'm not sure it's much different eating sperm than eating other parts of an animal or fish).

If you get the chance to have it, and are curious about different foods, I'd certainly give it a go without fear of having a strong reaction. There are plenty of other, more commonly-found Japanese foods that are more likely to provoke a strong love/hate reaction (natto, for instance, which is a fairly widespread offering at breakfast).
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shirako, Have you ever eaten it? 2015/8/13 23:00
I'm a Japanese adult, so I've had shirako many times, but I can't really say that it's like "caviar," because it doesn't have that "pop" quality.

It's very creamy, or milky, should I say. To me the closest thing in Western cuisine is foie gras. It's creamy, a bit heavy (although low-fat), and a bit fishy.

If you don't prepare it carefully, it ends up to be very very fishy. So the downside of it is that it's a hassle to prepare. In other words you can say that it's definitely easier to enjoy it at a restaurant or sushi bar.

The taste totally depends on how you cook it, because in the preparation process you wash off all the excess smell and salt.

According to the internet, it contains a lot of protein, vitamin B13, kalium (potassium) and phosphorus, and very low fat. It's 62kcal per 100g.
http://calorie.slism.jp/110207/

Since it's basically fish sperm, locals often believe that it gives you stamina, but I'm not sure about that. I hear that in Hakodate, it's commonly eaten in ordinary households.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread