Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

which supermarket chains have vegetables 2015/8/23 14:13
which supermarket chains have fresh vegetables, fruits and dairy food? can I find these fresh food stores in every place in Japan?
by rachel (guest)  

Re: which supermarket chains have vegetables 2015/8/24 02:04
which supermarket chains have fresh vegetables, fruits and dairy food?

All of them.

can I find these fresh food stores in every place in Japan?

It depends on your ability to find the stores, but they are available in most places of Japan (especially urban areas) except maybe some really isolated villages and islands with a very small population.

Ironically, it is somewhat challenging to find reasonably priced fresh fruits and vegetables in central Tokyo. Shops in central Tokyo (e.g. food departents in department stores) tend to be high-end, featuring mainly expensive, high-quality products.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: which supermarket chains have vegetables 2015/8/24 08:26
There are certain supermarket chains that have more reasonably priced products than others. As well suburban shops are generally lower priced or have specials, that often offer good discounts. Check out the Daiei chain, Seiyu, Tokyu, Maruetsu stores for well priced goods. Obviously out of season fruit and vegetable is higher priced, like anywhere in the world. Mom and Pop fruit /veg stores have a more limited range but often sell inseason veg for lower prices. Big department stores like Mitsukoshi are high end and charge more.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: which supermarket chains have vegetables 2015/8/24 18:43
Even local stores such as Family Mart and 7-11 has a limited range of basic vegetables. Also confirming that there can be a big price disparity between normal supermarkets and in the higher class stores such as what you see in Shibuya - but you get what you pay for (meaning the expensive stuff is about as good as you can buy anywhere internationally period)
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: which supermarket chains have vegetables 2015/8/25 15:38
They're very easy to find in residential areas (how can residents live without fresh vegetables and fruits?!). They're harder to find in areas where people work or tour, but not live (such as central Tokyo where unprofessionals usually don't cook).

If you are going to live here in Japan, ask housewives in your neighborhood about best places to buy quality fresh vegetables in reasonable prices. I can't really name specific "chains" that are best. It generally depends on the branch and, as suggested, indivisual grocery stores are often better .

If you are here for only several nights, it may be difficult to find the right amount of food material, because a lot of stores only sell vegetables/fruits per pack.

What are you planning to do anyway?
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: which supermarket chains have vegetables 2015/9/2 02:20
There are supermarkets large and small everywhere in Japan and they all sell the full range of groceries. You really won't have a problem. They are a bit thinner on the ground in major tourist/commercial centres, but Japanese people need to eat too and wherever people live there are shops. Check out the area that you are staying in on StreetView before you travel.

All convenience stores (konbini) stock some food, usually including a range of vegetables, bento (lunches) etc. You can live economically off what you can buy in a konbini and they are everywhere, certainly in central Tokyo. They are *much* cheaper than UK corner shops as they are part of nationwide chains and in competition with each other.

Some stations have supermarkets (or entire malls) adjacent to them (often owned by the same company), so you can often do some shopping after a trip, before getting on or after getting off the train, on your way back to your apartment.

International supermarkets like Kinokuniya are great, but may cost a bit more. The web pages of chains usually have store locations and maps. The 'Natural House' chain sells organic and small farm produce.

I have to admit that I don't bother much about the price of groceries in Tokyo. I'm not wealthy, but the flight and accommodation has already cost me a startlingly large chunk of cash, so it seems daft to worry about the price of the veggies I then buy for my dinner.

There are of course a zillion places to buy low cost food, including street vendors, who sell food to the locals and tourists at all tourist venues. There are plenty of fast food chains like McDonalds and MOS Burger. If you are self-catering because you are vegetarian or vegan, check out the Happy Cow app for relevant eateries. The big multi-storey department stores usually have entire floors selling food - these will be a bit more expensive, but qualify as a tourist experience, so treat yourself.

Although food can be very expensive in Japan, it is easy to eat very cheaply there too. The labels are usually in Japanese so grocery shopping can be something of an adventure, but you will have absolutely no trouble finding food. Don't worry about it.

Check out YouTube videos for examples of shopping in Japan, if only to build your confidence. Everywhere accepts cash but many konbini will accept Suica cards too. The international supermarkets often accept foreign credit and debit cards, but always have enough cash on you when you go shopping, just in case.

by David (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread