Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese introduction speech 2015/8/24 03:36
Hi all!

I am currently applying for a job teaching English in Japan, and one of the tasks is to introduce myself to the Japanese teachers at the school. It's basically a test in beginner Japanese. I have worked out most of my speech, but as I know next to no Japanese (complete beginner), I would greatly appreciate it if someone who does know Japanese can check it is ok for me, and maybe alter it if some of the wording is wrong? As I have done it by myself. Also, I want to add an extra bit (where I have written "Insert Here") but do not know enough Japanese to translate this in speech, and I feel that it would be pointless getting a garbled machine translation.

If anyone has the spare time, It would be a great assistance to me if someone coul go through this a correct it for me. Thanks!

Japanese: Konnichiwa Minna-san! Watashi wa Trigg Matthew des, watashi wa eigo. Watashi ha suki hon, anime to bideo geimu. (Insert here) Watashi wa tanoshinoshitemasu goruden weiku, comiket anime expo, eto taberu daifuku ichigo. Yoroshkun gozaishimasu!

English: Good afternoon, everyone! My name is Matthew Trigg, I'm english. I like books, anime and video games. (insert here) I am looking forward to Golden week, Comiket anime expo and eating daifuku strawberries. Please take care of me!

Want to add (insert here) - I often reviewed and improved my friends' essays at University, and help them with spelling correction, grammar and the correct wording in sentence structure. I am also writing a light novel series.

Many Thanks!

Matthew Trigg
by Trigg  

Re: Japanese introduction speech 2015/8/24 07:34
Hi Trigg,

Hope this can help you.
Japan is fun place! Good luck on your work!

Konnichiwa Minna-san! Watashi wa Trigg Matthew desu. Watashi wa igirisu-jin desu. Watashi wa dokusyo to anime to game ga sukidesu (Watashi wa daigaku de tomodachi no essay no check wo shiteimasu. Tadashii spell ya bunpo, iimawashi ni naosu tetsudai wo shiteimasu. Mata light novel mo kaiteimasu. ) Watashi wa golden week to comic market anime expo, Ichigodaifuku wo taberukoto wo tanoshimini shiteimasu. Yoroshiku onegai shimasu!
by Akino (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese introduction speech 2015/8/24 08:23
Awesome, thank you so much for your time and effort! This is exactly what I need :D. I can't wait to go out there, i'm sure i'll love it!
All the best!
by Trigg rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese introduction speech 2015/8/24 09:49
After you've given this speech, people will assume that you understand this level of Japanese, so a quick breakdown of Akino's contribution to explain how they are constructed.

Konnichiwa Minna-san!
Just a slight correction: it should be "mina-san," instead of "minna-an."

Watashi wa Trigg Matthew desu. (Watashi wa) igirisu-jin desu.
The word you chose for "English" (eigo) was the "English language." When talking about nationality, "English (person)" is "igirisu-jin."
You can skip the "watashi wa" in the second sentence, as it is obvious.

Watashi wa dokusyo to anime to bideo geimu ga suki desu
I would insert "video" to make sure that it is "video game" you like, not just "games."
"(things you like) ga suki desu" is the structure for saying "I like (something)."

(Watashi wa daigaku de tomodachi no essay no check wo shite imasu.
Tadashii spell ya bunpo, iimawashi ni naosu tetsudai wo shite imasu.
Mata light novel mo kaite imasu. )

Is reviewing and correcting your friends' essay is something you are doing "now"? because that is in the present tense.

Watashi wa golden week to, comiket anime expo to, ichigodaifuku wo taberu koto wo tanoshimi ni shite imasu. Yoroshiku onegai shimasu!
Again "(something) wo tanoshimi ni shite imasu" is the structure to say "I am looking forward to (something)."
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese introduction speech 2015/8/24 14:57
Hi!

Thanks for looking over it, ill add video games then ta, I am not currently looking over the essays, how could I change it to past tense please? And I am looking forward to those things so future tense is correct for that.

Thanks!

Matt
by Matt Trigg (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese introduction speech 2015/8/24 16:00
Thanks for the run down of the language too! Big help for understanding it all ;D

Re: Japanese introduction speech 2015/8/24 16:39
To make what you "did" at university, you can say:

- Watashi wa daigaku dewa, tomodachi no essay no check wo shite imashita.
(In university, I was checking friends' essays.)

- Tadashii spell ya bunpo, iimawashi ni naosu tetsudai wo shite imashita.
(I was helping to correct to right spelling, grammar, and wording.)

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese introduction speech 2015/8/24 16:44
Thankyou very much! I'll change these parts now.

Much appreciated!

reply to this thread