Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

konnichiwa, minnasan or minnasan konnichiwa 2015/8/30 21:24
Hi. So recently in a group chat of mine, i introduced myself and greeted everyone with konnichiwa minnasan. But then, someone in the group pointed out that the correct way is to say minnasan first (minnasan, konnichiwa). Bur i am not sure if that is the onyl way to say it or what i said is also correct. So can you guys please enlighten me in this topic. Thankyouu
by Albertus Varian Limandau (guest)  

Re: konnichiwa, minnasan or minnasan konnichiwa 2015/8/31 10:38
It's minnasan, konnichiwa....
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: konnichiwa, minnasan or minnasan konnichiwa 2015/8/31 11:20
It is Minasan, konnichiwa the correct pronunciation.
It is not a Minnasan.
The order is good either.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: konnichiwa, minnasan or minnasan konnichiwa 2015/8/31 12:38
Either is OK, but "Mina-san, konnichiwa" is more natural.

If you think of saying this at the beginning of a speech/greeting in front of an audience, with "mina-san" at the beginning, you get everyone's attention, then you say your greeting "konnichiwa," and the audience returns the greeting "konnichiwa" immediately after that.

And yes, it is "mina-san," not "minna-san."
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: konnichiwa, minnasan or minnasan konnichiwa 2015/9/1 04:25
AK:

That's something I was curious about - I had seen it written both ways in hiragana before (みんな and みな) and my teacher, who is Japanese, always wrote it and pronounced it with the extra 'ん' in it.

Is it a matter of preference, or is one actually more 'correct' than the other?

Thanks.
by frippscratch rate this post as useful

Re: konnichiwa, minnasan or minnasan konnichiwa 2015/9/1 07:56
みんな,OK
皆=みな,OK
皆さん=みなさん, OK
みんなさん, No

みな is the correct pronunciation. but, many people add ん for easy pronunciation (みんな), especially for friends and coworkers. みんな may not be used to persons of higher position.
there is no word of みんなさん, probably because the word (みんな) itself is impolite, while さん makes the word polite. (mismatch of the usage)
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: konnichiwa, minnasan or minnasan konnichiwa 2015/9/1 08:27
frippscratch,

As ken explained, as stand-alone words "minna" AND "mina" are correct. But there is no such word as "minna-san" :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: konnichiwa, minnasan or minnasan konnichiwa 2015/9/1 09:03
Just to clarify...

The kanji 皆 can be read both as みんな (min-na) and みな (mina). It's often a matter of preference, but usually judged by the context.

The hiragana みんな can only be read as min-na.

The hiragana みな can only be read as mina.

You never say min-na-san.

Hope it helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: konnichiwa, minnasan or minnasan konnichiwa 2015/9/1 23:52
Thank you all for the clarifications.

I'll need to go back and reread my teacher's book to see if he had that information in there and I just missed it.
by frippscratch rate this post as useful

reply to this thread