Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shitsumon, onegashimasu 2015/9/11 11:38

Watshi wa nihongo ga benkyo shimas.

Watashi wa nihongo ga sukoshi hanashimasu.
Nihongo ga sukoshi wakarimasu.

I have a few questions. Please help if you can!

1. What is the difference between onegashimasu and kudasai?

2 . When do you use "nana" for 7 or "shi chi" for 7?

3. I am meeting a person who has helped quite a bit with my November first time visit. I would like to thank tehn and honor them for their help. I am bringing a small gift from my home state, but Imwould like to say something to the , more than a simple "domo arigatou gozaimasu. Is there something more traditional I can say to express my thanks??

4. What is the most accepted way to say your welcome humbly , or how to answer a thank you , and not actually say "your welcome"?

5. Is there a traditional "toast" or saying that can be said before a meal? Something more than Itadakimasu?

Domo arigatou .

by Will Lazarus  

Re: Shitsumon, onegashimasu 2015/9/11 16:16
Hi, Will.

I try to answer for your questions.
1."onegaishimasu" is similar to "please".
"kudasai" means "please, give me it."
2.It's very difficult.
So, it is similar situation to say phone number.
For example, "123-000"
Probably, you will say "one, two, three, o, o, o".
This situation, "o" means "zero", doesn't it.
Also, it is different by kind of feature to count.
by woodmirror (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shitsumon, onegashimasu 2015/9/11 16:29
Hi :)

1. "onegai shimasu" is independent words. for example, I pray you in Englesh.
"kudasai" is subordination words to other words, for example, osiete kudasai, tasukete kudasai or hanashite kudasai...etc.

2. I employ "nana" mainly. It is unusual to employ "shichi".

so, I use nana almost all scenes.for example, I count anumber ”1(ichi)”,”2(ni)”, ”3(san)",..."6(roku)","7(nana)".
I use shichi when multiplication. for example, 7*7=49(I say "shichi shichi shijyuku).

3. How about this "sono setsu wa osewa ni nari mashita(その節はお世話になりました。)".
This meaning is "Thank you for all your help on that occasion".

4. sorry I don't have an answer this question.

5."Itadakimasu" is the best.

Ah...I might be a busybody, but your some words is incorrect.

(1)
”onega[]shimasu”

”onegai shimasu”

(2)
"Watshi wa nihongo [ga] benkyo shimas."

"Watshi wa nihongo wo benkyo shimas."

"nihongo ga" is the subjective case. This meaning is "Nihongo sutudies...".
"nihongo wo" is the objective case. This meaning is "(I sutudy) Nihongo ".

However, "Nihongo ga sukoshi wakarimasu." is correct. the japanese language is mysterious :D .
Also it is correct "Nihongo wo sukoshi wakarimasu."

(3)
"Watashi wa nihongo [ga] sukoshi hanashimasu."

"Watashi wa nihongo wo sukoshi hanasshimasu."

by kou2015 rate this post as useful

Re: Shitsumon, onegashimasu 2015/9/11 16:48
Hi Will, I am also currently studying Japanese.
I could probably help you with some your questions.

1) From what I studied, both "Onegaishimasu" and "Kudasai" holds the same meaning, please. They only differ when you are using it in a sentence.

Kudasai - is usually used with verbs.
To Eat = Taberu (Dictionary Form)
Tabete (Te-Form)

Pattern : Te + Kudasai
Tabete Kudasai means please eat.

Onegaishimasu is usually used with nouns.
Mizu = Water

Mizu wo Onegaishimasu
Mizu Onegaishimasu
= Can I have some water please? Or just.. Water please.

2) 7 (nana/shichi)

When counting numbers, Ichi, ni, san, yon, go, roku, nana, hachi, kyuu, juu

When its July (7th Month) = Shichi-gatsu

3) I'm not sure..

4) How to answer thank you in Japanese? - Dou itashimashite
Or. casually, you can say "Iie, iie".

5) Toast = Kanpai!

by B (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shitsumon, onegashimasu 2015/9/12 14:01
1. "onegai shimasu" literally means "I ask of you." So it can be used standalone to ask someone.
"...kudasai" cannot really be used alone. If you say "Kudasai." that means "Please give it to me, but you wouldn't really use it that way. It is most often used in "(...te form of a verb) + kudasai" to say "please (do something)," making a request.

I guess you want to say "Question, please," in the title of your thread, but that looks like you are asking for a question. It would be more proper to say "Oshiete kudasai" (Please teach/tell me) using the "te-form" of the verb "oshieru/oshiemasu" (to teach, to tell someone something) + kudasai .

2. Simply counting numbers, people would usually say "shichi." We might use "nana" instead in dates or month, as saying "shichi-gatsu" (July) can be easily confused with "ichi-gatsu" (January).

3. It depends on how polite/respectful you want to go, but you could say something like "O-sewa ni natta o-rei ni, uketotte kudasai." (Please accept this, as my thanks for the care you took of me.)

4. So you don't want to say "douitashimashite"? Nothing is wrong with it, but you could simply say "iie," to mean "not at all."

5. "Toast/cheers" for drinks is "Kanpai," but not for meals. The phrase before a meal is "Itadakimasu."

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Shitsumon, onegashimasu 2015/9/13 01:17
4. I really understand where you are coming from here, but as far as I can tell "douitashimashite" doesn't carry the connotations of "I did you a favor" as easily as "you're welcome" does in English.

Still, I find the expression '(iie,) kochira koso (arigatou gozaimasu)' ("[No,] it's I who should be [thanking you]") very useful in a lot of cases. Often people thanking me are still in the process of doing something I need to thank them for. (e.g. "Thanks for coming to this class where I taught you for free.")

5. I think I know what you're looking for here. The word you want is "oishisou" ("it looks delicious") said with lots of emotion. Then take the time to really appreciate the way everything looks, and really enjoy especially the first bite of each dish, hopefully followed by an "oishii" or "umai". Basically just take a really reverent attitude towards the food, as if it is the most beautiful thing you have every seen, and tasting it is opening whole new worlds of experiences for you. (This generally won't be that difficult to pull off because it will be true of most of your meals in Japan.) Your host will be delighted.
by Harimogura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shitsumon, onegashimasu 2015/9/14 14:59
Shitsumon ga arimasu (I have a question)

onegaishimasu: Please do something for me. Can be used when asking for something in a restaurant (biru onegaishimasu/beer please). But also can be used when you need someone to do something for you. You can make it even more meaningful by saying Yoroshiku onegaishimasu. I would use this when trying to get paperwork done in a government office to give them the impression that you really appreciate what they are going to do for you. "You are really doing me a favor by doing this for me"!

Kudasai, Also means please, and also used a lot when asking for things. Biru Kudasai (beer please), omizu kudasai (water please). Yukuri kudasai (slowly please); Doa shimite kudasai (close the door please)

Itadakimasu: Thank you for the food I am about to eat. This is the best way to express yourself "before" eating.

Say this after you have finished to express your thanks for the food: gochisosama deshita. Pronounced more like goodsosamadeshita. You can also say oishikata (it was good/it tasted good).
by tomodachidave (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shitsumon, onegashimasu 2015/9/14 15:53
Just to confuse you, the first 10 days of a month are counted unusually complex and t unique to make difficult for any learners.
1-tsuitachi, 2-futsuka, 3-mikka, 4-yokka, 5-itsuka, 6-muika, 7-nanoka, 8-yooka, 9-kokonoka, 10-touka, then number+nichi, i.e. juu ichi nichi, juu sichi nichi, etc. for the rest of the days in a month.
Good luck!
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shitsumon, onegashimasu 2015/9/14 16:25
Except 十四日 and 二十四日. Also, 十日 is とおか, not とうか.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Shitsumon, onegashimasu 2015/9/15 12:04
What a wealth of good information. I am grateful. Domo arigatou gozaimasu.

I am very concerned with showing repect for the people who have helped me plan this trip. Which is why I have asked about how to say "thank you" in another way.

My particles are still in need of work. Thank you for the correction of "ga" and "wo" it makes much more sense now.

I am teaching myself up to this point.

Could you help translate?

1. It is an honor to meet you.

2. Thank you for your help.

3. Please accept this gift from my home state.

4. Thank you for coming.

5. I am grateful to have met you.

Once again thank you for helping me!

by Will Lazarus rate this post as useful

Re: Shitsumon, onegashimasu 2015/9/16 11:49
Hi will :) I try your new question.
The following words are formal words.

1.oai dekite kouei desu(御会い 出来て 光栄 です)

notes...
"oai" is "o(御)"+"ai(会い)", the "o" is a prefix used to add politeness and the "ai" is "meeting".

2.gokyouryoku itadaki mashite arigatou gozaimasu(御協力 いただき まして ありがとう ございます)

notes...
"gokyouryoku" is "go(御)"+"kyouryoku(協力)", the "go" is a prefix used to add politeness like the "o" and "kyouryoku" is "cooperation".

3.watashi no kokyou no omiyage desu(私の 故郷の 御土産 です)

notes...
(1)”kokyou” is "one's native place"
(2)"omiyage" is "o(御)"+"miyage(土産).
(3)"omiyage desu" includes "Please accept".

4.okoshi itadaki mashite arigatou gozaimasu (御越し いただき まして ありがとう ございます)

notes...
(1)”okoshi” is "o(御)"+"koshi(越し)".

5.anata ni deaete yokatta desu(貴方に 出会えて 良かった です)or anata ni deaeta koto ni kansya shite imasu (貴方に 出会えた こと に 感謝 して います)

notes...
(1)”anata ni deaete yokatta desu" is more natural words than "anata ni deaeta koto ni kansya shite imasu". However, it is slightly casual woeds.

Re: Shitsumon, onegashimasu 2015/9/16 13:16
An additional explanation for Question 5.

"anata tati(貴方たち)" may be better than "anata".

"anata(貴方)" = a person
"anata tati(貴方たち)" = people.

reply to this thread