Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo ramen gives me diarrhea every time 2015/9/19 14:32
There is an ingredient in the Tokyo ramen that gives me diarrhea very time I eat it. Do you know what it is?

It happens a few times.
by Dave (guest)  

Re: Tokyo ramen gives me diarrhea every time 2015/9/19 15:13
It may be hard to pinpoint what it is that is giving you diarrhea as people react differently to different foods. Are you asking so you can ask them not to use it on your order? If that's so, then I'm afraid they won't be able to comply with your request as the stock they use is not made to order. Different places have their own recipes and they're closely guarded. You say you get diarrhea every time but it only happens sometimes? Can you pinpoint a place where you eat where that happens to you? If so, then I'd avoid eating there.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo ramen gives me diarrhea every time 2015/9/19 15:41
The oil/fat in the soup may have gotten to you, if you don't eat much fatty food. You could have been tired or something like that too. Note that compared with other food ramen is something that hits the stomach quickly - because you eat a whole bowl of it rather quickly, so it might have just felt too heavy for the stomach.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo ramen gives me diarrhea every time 2015/9/19 16:20
ramen is unhealthy food. avoid to drink the soup, which contains too much salt and fat. if you are sensitive, it is better to eat noodle and some others only.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo ramen gives me diarrhea every time 2015/9/19 18:03
What type of ramen or similar foods do not give you diarrhea very time you eat it? By telling us what the safer foods are, it will make it easier for us to pinpoint the reason of your diarrhea.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo ramen gives me diarrhea every time 2015/9/19 21:06
I am a japanese man, was born in Fukuoka, so I ate ramen in my childhood.
I had not experienced diarrhea before, recently I have similar situation with you.
I don't know the reason of me might be same with you,
In my case, it is no problem the soup is fresh where I mean the soup was not kept heeting long hours.
I think my body might be sensitive for the oxdized soup. Then I think my body doesn't want to absorb that soup as the ingredient isn't good for my body.

by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo ramen gives me diarrhea every time 2015/9/20 09:00
Need more info if we're gonna help you figure out a trend.

For example, do you mean Tokyo Style Ramen or just general ramen in Tokyo? Tokyo Style ramen traditionally uses a soup stock of pork, chicken and fish dashi, the dashi being a somewhat unique ingredient that differs from other regional recipes. Could it be that?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo ramen gives me diarrhea every time 2015/9/20 11:02
I avoid ramen soup as I am not sure if it has been made using a commercial stock base, and often they have added amino acid, for flavor and sometimes this is monosodium glutimate (621) which gives me diarrhea and headaches. I find it better to avoid it, just in case.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo ramen gives me diarrhea every time 2015/9/20 15:46
I love shoya ramen, but when I get it in Japan I get stomach cramps about a half hour after I eat it, and have to run off. I watched the "Japanology" episode on ramen, and saw that in the making of the stock they essentially continually mix in the chicken oil (which I get rid of when cooking it at home) so it has quite a high level of oil in it.

Excessive oil is a trigger for the cramps for me (KFC chips and gravy is a surefire stomach killer) so if you are likewise I think you'll find it is the stock.

by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo ramen gives me diarrhea every time 2015/9/20 17:24
Hi, thanks for the responses.
It is only Tokyo ramen that does this to me.
Fukuoka, Okinawa, Sapporo, Asahikawa ramen does not do this.

I had ramen 2x at JR rail Tokyo and at Ginza area (shop claims to be the best ramen in the world-- I proved them wrong).

I am not eating Tokyo ramen ever again. It sucks.
by Dave (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo ramen gives me diarrhea every time 2015/9/22 14:28
Instead of blaming the entire region/city or the type of ramen, I'd rather blame the ramenstore in question?

by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo ramen gives me diarrhea every time 2015/9/23 02:09
It could be the menma, fermented bamboo shoots. Tokyo ramen uses them. Try avoiding them.
Try Gomoku soba (gomoku means 5 different ingredients) or Champon (means everything mixed) . I prefer them to ramen, other than Kyushu tonkotsu ramen, as they have a lot of vegetables and bits of pork/seafood, not fatty chaashuu BBQ pork slices or too salty broth. I avoid udon in Tokyo. Just horrible.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo ramen gives me diarrhea every time 2015/9/23 02:59
I have no idea why the OP is okay with Asahikawa ramen and not with Tokyo ramen. They are very alike (even the memma). As another poster suggested, it could've been something more coincidental, such as the restaurant you went to or the climate or the air-conditioning. One thing I can say is that, for me, cold water don't go well with hot ramen, but I can say the same thing for any type of ramen.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo ramen gives me diarrhea every time 2015/9/23 08:28
If we are giving alternatives, try abura soba. I came across this meal when I was coming down with a cold last time I was in Kyoto, and I credit it with getting rid of the virus. It is just awesome!
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo ramen gives me diarrhea every time 2015/9/24 04:39
Ask a doctor, no one here is going to be able to help you.
by KGhaleon rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo ramen gives me diarrhea every time 2015/9/28 20:52
I've had something similar happen within the last few years, with fatty take out foods (KFC, McDonalds etc).

Not entirely sure what it is, but recently an allergist suggested a wheat and milk reduced diet. Works wonders!

So yeah, I'd agree with others. It's probably not the ramen or place - it's most likely high oil/gluten/salt etc content that your body is now not tolerating.

Try eating smaller helpings and watch how much of certain foods you eat (i.e no ramen for lunch and then something fatty/oily for dinner).
by Midori Hime 77 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread