Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Does Japanese Electric Goods work in India? 2015/9/24 15:52
I am moving to India.
So, i would like to use Japanese Electric Products (such as TV, Mircowav, kotatsu, Tea-maker, Hot-carpet, Hair driyer etc) in India.
Will Japanese Electric Products work in India?
If not can i use any kind of adapter?
by ranjan (guest)  

Re: Does Japanese Electric Goods work in India? 2015/9/25 02:47
Japan operates on a 100 Volt 60Hz (for Kansai [Osaka} and West Japan) and 100V 50Hz (for Kanto {Tokyo} and East Japan). If your electricity is the same as this, then it will work fine.

Some electric appliances are sold for both 100V and 220V ranges (100, 110 , 120 V and 220, 240V), but those are not commonly sold everywhere. Those are usually sold in places that cater to tourists (re:Tax Free stores).

There are adapters for step-down voltages, but they're rather expensive and heavy if they're for large appliances.

I had all 120V appliances at home in Spain, which is a 240V country and the step-down transformers weighed about 50 pounds each.

I do not know the electrical current in India.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Does Japanese Electric Goods work in India? 2015/9/25 13:31
Will Japanese Electric Products work in India?
If not can i use any kind of adapter?

They will work, but as India's voltage is 230-240V 50 Hz
step up transformer 110v to 240v is needed; unless the appliances accept multi voltages.
by * (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Does Japanese Electric Goods work in India? 2015/9/25 14:29
Hi !
John
Thank you for your acknowledgment.

by ranjaan rate this post as useful

Re: Does Japanese Electric Goods work in India? 2015/9/26 01:01
Suggest you use a good surge protector, better yet an UPS.
by T26 rate this post as useful

Re: Does Japanese Electric Goods work in India? 2015/9/26 01:29
A note of caution: Japanese appliances are not always earthed, and power plugs aren't very safe. So if you can and will use a product on 240V, take some safety precautions.

Add an earthing wire for high-current devices, and use a power plug adapter that grabs the plug VERY tightly, because it easily falls out halfway, leaving enough space for a child to touch a live contact.
by thany rate this post as useful

Re: Does Japanese Electric Goods work in India? 2015/9/28 10:27
Noted & Thank you everyone!
by ranjaan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread