Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buddhism Scam? Cult? 2015/9/27 18:09
So I was in Harajuku today and these two young women approached me and we started talking. They were really friendly and we got to chatting and were really getting along, and they asked if I wanted to go with them to Ikebukuro. I agreed since I had nothing better to do, thinking we were just going to hang out.

We get to Ikebukuro, and out of nowhere they ask me if I’m a Christian. I said no, and they got really excited and started talking about Buddha. They told me they wanted to talk to me about Buddha, wanted me to find happiness, etc. Then they tried to get me to go with them to Tokiwadai station, and then go god knows where.

I got kind of weirded out at this point, and said I had to leave but they kept trying to aggressively convince me, saying it wouldn’t cost anything and it would only take an hour, and how they just wanted me to be happy/not to be worried/etc.

Anyone know exactly what they were trying to do? Is this some sort of scam or are they just trying to convert people or what?
by catele (guest)  

Re: Buddhism Scam? Cult? 2015/9/28 03:38
Cool story. It's amusing that they were happy (relieved?) you weren't a Christian
by Faiyez rate this post as useful

Re: Buddhism Scam? Cult? 2015/9/28 08:39
There are various Buddhist related scams going on these days in popular sightseeing spots such as Harajuku, targeting the increasing number of foreign tourists in Japan. Yours could be very well one of them. Some cult-like, Buddhist-based, new religion would be my second guess.

Just wondering: were they Japanese? Chinese? Other foreigners?
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Buddhism Scam? Cult? 2015/9/28 09:15
I'm a Japanese living in Japan, and having traveled around the world I can say that it's not common at all for anyone to "take an hour" to sit down and talk about religion to a person you just met.

So, yes, they were some kind of cult, if that's what you're asking. I also think there is a very thin line between scam and those "trying to convert people." Those couple of youth themselves may have been doing it out of pure goodwill, but there usually is an organization in the back that have other goals.

In particular, Japan is unique for its diversity in religion, and all decent religous groups have survived by never introducing their beliefs in this sort of agressive way.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Buddhism Scam? Cult? 2015/9/28 09:57
@Uji - They were Japanese, and only spoke Japanese and very little English.

@Uco - Thanks for your input, I figured that was probably the case. Really strange experience…
by catele (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread