Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is this tattoo correct? 2015/10/12 03:22
Guys, my friend wants to tattoo the word Sanctuary, and after some research and study, I found that you write like this: ¹ˆæ
I want to know if is right or if has another meaning, I don't have any native friend, unfortunately.
Also, when tattoo it, I wonder if is right one ideogram to be write under the other.
Can you guys help me, please?
by SNLK (guest)  

Re: Is this tattoo correct? 2015/10/12 10:15
That's the coolest tattoo design and font I've ever seen. Just kidding.

Tattoo your own language if you want to mean it.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Is this tattoo correct? 2015/10/12 10:21
Please be sure to get it done (if you must) by a tattoo artist who knows the language , knows good-looking fonts, and knows how the individual strokes in the characters are supposed to be made. Otherwise you'd end up with the equivalent of a block-letter writing of that word on your arm, which would look very un-cool.

And that word, while it does mean "sanctuary," it has the connotation of "a place you cannot touch/fidget" rather than "safe, protected haven."
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is this tattoo correct? 2015/10/12 12:52
Yes, kanji can be and are written vertically.

Also, you can use google's image search to help you get an idea about the associations of any given word.
by Harimogura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is this tattoo correct? 2015/10/14 20:27
The connotations of a word are often not the same , that's why it is risky to use dictionaries for tattoos, people will just shrug when they see it: http://jisho.org/search/%E8%81%96%E5%9F%9F

I'd suggest to do what Uco-san suggested.
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread