Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to eat late in Asakusa? 2015/10/14 11:34
My partner and I will be arriving into Asakusa late on s Wednesday night. Around 8-9pm. Can anyone suggest somewhere to get food or have dinner this late?
by Appledot  

Re: Where to eat late in Asakusa? 2015/10/14 16:19
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to eat late in Asakusa? 2015/10/14 17:03
If you want something cheap and fun, Ringer Hut serves Nagasaki-style noodle dishes, and they're open until 2am. If you just want to crash, Yukari has amazingly good take-out karaage fried chicken that you can bring back to your hotel. http://bento.com/ra-ueno.html#asakusa

If you have sufficient energy and it's only 9pm, you might want to take the train one stop to Skytree, where you'll have far more options for dinner, and far nicer restaurants than what you'll find in Asakusa. A lot of places there have last order at 10pm though, so be careful of the time. http://bento.com/ra-ueno.html#oshiage
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Where to eat late in Asakusa? 2015/10/14 17:14
Ooo thank you for the great suggestions guys. I'll save them to my map. I think which ever is closest to the hotel is what we'll go for.
Thanks a million :)
by Appledot rate this post as useful

Re: Where to eat late in Asakusa? 2015/10/14 17:29
According to this site, there are 1,225 restaurants in Asakusa alone and most if not all are open on Wednesday night.

http://tabelog.com/en/rstLst/?n=Asakusa&maxLat=35.7233638&minLat=35.71...

Enjoy your dinner!
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to eat late in Asakusa? 2015/10/15 05:18
McDonald's open 24hrs. There are 3-4 McDonald's in Asakusa.
Ask your hotel staff which restaurants or Izakaya open until late.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Where to eat late in Asakusa? 2015/10/18 17:13
You can also just walk down the asakusa Dori and allot place to eat are there located
by mark (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to eat late in Asakusa? 2015/10/18 17:23
I strongly recommend avoiding dining at sterile chain restaurants, and head to the izakaya street that is lined with open izakaya bars (is that Asakusa Dori?). There you can experience very authentic, local food if you like a little bit of adventure:
https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=asakusa+izakaya&tbm=isch

(they can be rather empty on some weekday evenings, but I think most should be still open around 8/9pm, although they may start having last orders around 21:30).
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Where to eat late in Asakusa? 2015/10/19 02:53
That street is called Hoppy-dori.

I think it's telling that no one can recommend a specific izakaya on that street - the only advice is to wander in someplace at random. I've been to a few of the places on that street, and I have friends who work in the area who have been to more of them, and the general consensus is that they're fairly mediocre in terms of food, but they have a wonderful exotic atmosphere - if you've never been to a smoky, noisy salaryman bar before. (And the food is probably wonderful too if you're not used to going to other izakaya in Japan.)

Another point - for people coming from North America or Europe, I can understand the disdain for the concept of the chain restaurant, but in fact there are many chain izakaya in Japan that are very good. Many of them are quite reliable in terms of quality, offer good price performance, and have a lively atmosphere - the opposite of the "sterile" stereotype. And they're popular among regular people who just want to go for a drink and a snack after work - the exact opposite of "inauthentic," whatever that word even means.

I'm not saying visitors shouldn't ever wander into someplace at random - I've had very good experiences that way, and you're unlikely to be served really bad food, given the very competitive nature of the restaurant market here. But on average, when you pick spots at random you'll find places that are just average. Recommendations for specific places that somebody has actually been to are much more useful, even if the recommended place happens to have more than one branch.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Where to eat late in Asakusa? 2015/10/19 08:33
Definitely, the food at Hoppy-dori is mediocre, at best. But I would still recommend it to anybody going there for the "authentic" experience (I myself hate the word, but it gets the intended message across easily). Just my personal opinion. Of course, everybody is free to disagree with or ignore it.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread