Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hotels in Japan that feature live music? 2015/10/29 09:48
Can anyone tell me of any hotels in Japan (all cities inclusive) that feature live music? I am finding clubs and bars that have jazz, rock, edm, etc but not so many hotels. I am also hoping to find hotels that feature Latin and world music there. It seems that you have to fine-tooth comb each site individually to find if they do or not as they don't seem to feature the information readily. Any info would really be appreciated!
by Duarte (guest)  

Re: Hotels in Japan that feature live music? 2015/10/29 21:49
There's often a pianist playing live in the lobby of the Peninsula in Tokyo and also in the Oriental Lounge of the Mandarin Oriental.

Hotels in Japan aren't really known for being live music venues...
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hotels in Japan that feature live music? 2015/10/30 00:30
Cerulean Tower Shibuya Jazz bar
https://www.ceruleantower-hotel.com/en/restaurant/jzbrat/
Restaurant artist cafe Tokyo Dome Hotel
Friday night and Saturday night 19:00 / 20:30 / 21:45 (30 minutes each)
There is a live, such as jazz and bossa nova.
Osaka Ritz carlton is not in the hotel, and passes through the communication passage, you can go to Billboard live.
Also in the hotel's lobby lounge, noon seems there is a live classic.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Hotels in Japan that feature live music? 2015/10/30 00:40
Tokyo Grand Hyatt also seems to be a jazz live.
http://restaurants.tokyo.grand.hyatt.com/maduro-bar/live-music.html
Yokohama Bay Sheraton
Oriental Hotel Hiroshima
Also it seems to have been held regularly.
Other there is also Hilton Tokyo live in irregular.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Hotels in Japan that feature live music? 2015/10/30 19:51
As far as my experience is concerned, all top class hotels with a sky lounge has live music playing there at night. But it's usually something aimed for a sophisticated drinking audience, so it's usually jazz or jazzy latin by non-Japanese units and not so much of world music.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hotels in Japan that feature live music? 2015/11/3 05:59
Thank you for all of your responses! I should probably explain that I play mainly instrumental solo guitar. I work with bands in the US but performing as a soloist would be much more practical for the purpose of travelling. My music has quite alot of Latin influence such as Paco de Lucia, Gypsy Kings, Santana, Ottmar Liebert etc but I also have a bit of jazz influence such as Earl Klugh, Pat Metheny, Larry Carlton and so forth. I should also add that I include much new and recent music by artists such as Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Ed Sheeran, Adele, Coldplay etc. This has been quite successful for me in the US as there are younger generations of hotel and restaurant management now. Also, many people are growing weary of hearing the usual old-school material. Any other suggestions would also be very much appreciated - Thank you!
by Tom Duarte (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hotels in Japan that feature live music? 2015/11/3 11:57
Oh, you should've explained that you're looking for a place to stay and not a place to listen. I don't know how that works as far as visas and qualifications are concerned. Good luck.
by Uco rate this post as useful

typo 2015/11/3 18:55
Sorry, I meant to write "you should've explained that you're looking for a place to play"

Re: Hotels in Japan that feature live music? 2015/11/4 18:21
Thank you. I had figured out what you meant. I was admittedly a bit vague in my original post but I just didn't want to overstep lines as to what you can and can't post here. Seems as if I did alright seeing as I am still here.
by Duarte (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hotels in Japan that feature live music? 2015/11/5 12:02
You're not going to be kicked off the forum for asking a question, as long as you're not trolling. So please be a bit more clear as to what you are asking.

Are you looking for a place that will take you on as a lounge player or something in exchange for the room? Are you wanting to get a job in Japan as a lounge player? Or are you just wanting to jam a bit for fun and free?
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Hotels in Japan that feature live music? 2015/11/5 15:24
To get a job in Japan as a lounge player, absolutely! I currently play full time as a solo guitarist. I have asked some of my fellow musicians who have worked in Tokyo and abroad about playing in Japan and they seem to think that my style would work well over there. I am quite successful with it here in the States but I have not visited your part of the world yet and I would really love to experience it as a working musician. - Thank you for asking!
by Duarte (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hotels in Japan that feature live music? 2015/11/5 18:06
So if your goal is to live and work in Japan, then your main problem is going to be your resident status. On a 90-day tourist visa you could play for fun, but are technically not allowed to make money, and of course can't stay beyond the 90 days. I'm not sure what status would work best for you (I'm not the expert on the forum but maybe Firas will chime in), but you've basically two options that I can see:

1) head over to Japan on a tourist visa and look for a job, then if you find one go from there.

2) look for a job first then once you find someone willing to sponsor you, come over with the appropriate visa

Either way, I'm not sure how easy it will be. You might be better off getting a job as, say, an English teacher, then transitioning to a lounge musician little-by-little. I've got an acquaintance in Osaka who is basically doing this now, and becoming successful as a singer. I don't know the enough about specifics of her situation, however, to give any advice on it...
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Hotels in Japan that feature live music? 2015/11/5 20:18
As far as I know, a lot of musicians playing in hotels in Japan seem to get offers to play first and then come to their workplaces which is the hotels. So I suppose the OP is trying to send his demos directly to the hotels so that he can get an offer. I don't know how successful one can get by following that procedure, but I suppose the musician will have very little to lose by doing so.

reply to this thread