Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ramen in Osaka & Sushi in Tokyo 2015/11/4 00:54
Hi...
I'm trying to search on the forum but the list is already long.

Quick questions...I am planning to go to Japan next year.. to Tokyo n Osaka..and dying to taste the food there.

I heard in Osaka the Ramen is very good and in Tokyo for their sushi.

In Tokyo i got recommendation for Sushi Zanmai in Tsukiji... they say it's good but not expensive...is it true?

and for Ramen, any recommendation in Osaka, please? Good taste but not too expensive 600-1000 yen hopefully.

Thank you in advance
by VennySaarce  

Re: Ramen in Osaka & Sushi in Tokyo 2015/11/4 07:52
In Tokyo i got recommendation for Sushi Zanmai in Tsukiji... they say it's good but not expensive...is it true?
yes, but know that you might need to wait sometimes even more than 1-2 hours in a line until you get served... and that can happen even if you go there at 4am in the morning.
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Ramen in Osaka & Sushi in Tokyo 2015/11/4 14:24
you might need to wait sometimes even more than 1-2 hours in a line until you get served... and that can happen even if you go there at 4am in the morning.

That's really surprising - I understand it at the tiny shops with seven seats in the Inner Market, but Zanmai is pretty big, and they have several branches in Tsukiji. I don't think I've ever seen a line at any of them.

Anyway, there are dozens of branches of Zanmai all over Tokyo (and there are even some in Osaka), so there's really no need to go all the way to Tsukiji and wait on line (if indeed there is a line) - you'll get the same fish wherever you go.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Ramen in Osaka & Sushi in Tokyo 2015/11/4 14:30
Hi Umami Dearest,

I choose in Tsukiji just because I will go there at one of the days I stay in Tokyo. Therefore to save some time, I decided to have breakfast in Sushi Zanmai.

I also read Sushi Zanmi is not as crowded as Sushi Dai.
by VennySaarce rate this post as useful

Re: Ramen in Osaka & Sushi in Tokyo 2015/11/4 16:31
stupied me. i mixed it up with sushi dai. i am really sorry. (i was both places and mixed them now). sorry for the wrong information.
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Ramen in Osaka & Sushi in Tokyo 2015/11/4 16:44
Hi Glimpigumpi

No worries...hahah..so, for your Sushi Zanmai, also not too crowded as Sushi Dai?

Re: Ramen in Osaka & Sushi in Tokyo 2015/11/5 00:08
(Purely my opinion, but) unless you're planning on going to one of the super-expensive sushi places, you're going to get pretty similar stuff at any of the mid-priced places. And it will all be good.

Zanmai is fine. I'd happily eat there. It's better than many places in my home country (the UK) which are much more expensive, and it has a much greater selection. But I wouldn't make a specific journey to go there. I'd just ask someone where the nearest mid-range sushi place is, and would expect similar quality and price to that at Zanmai.

With ramen, you're into the territory of some seriously obsessive people who will spend hours discussing the particular allure of different broths, toppings and noodles, but (again, purely IMHO) honestly I'd not make a special trip to go and eat a particular bowl of ramen. I'd either just eat them wherever I saw them, or I'd visit one of the many places (train stations are often good for this) "ramen alley" type setups where you've got several ramen shops together and you can choose what takes your fancy.

If your home country is like the UK, you're likely to find that ALL Japanese food in Japan is a lot better, a lot cheaper, and a lot more readily available than anything you experience at home, and that it's not a fantastic use of your time to make specific trips to eat at what are basically run-of-the-mill (by Japanese standards) restaurants.
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ramen in Osaka & Sushi in Tokyo 2015/11/5 01:11
Hi Winter Visitor,

thank you for your point of view...appreciate it. I also think I wont like go to one place just to eat ramen, but if people give reference and that area is on my itinerary then i will try to look for it.
thats all. i wont spend time just to search for restaurant also.

for zanmai well it's only because it is in Tsukiji which i will go there to experience the famous fish market.

Re: Ramen in Osaka & Sushi in Tokyo 2015/11/5 01:57
Understood, Venny. Hope you enjoy Tsukiji.

https://osakainsider.wordpress.com/ramen-guide/ might help you with ramen in Osaka.

If you're going to Kyoto, then the shopping arcade on top of the JR station has a Ramen Alley sort of thing with somewhere between 6 and 12 shops (I can't remember exactly - but it's more choice than any normal human being could ever want!)
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ramen in Osaka & Sushi in Tokyo 2015/11/5 08:51
Hi Winter Visitor,

Thanks for the information. That's surely helpful

Re: Ramen in Osaka & Sushi in Tokyo 2015/11/5 16:57
I don't particularly like Osaka-style ramen. For me Hokkaido-style is not much better.

I love Kyushu-style ramen with Tokyo-style being second best.
For Kyushu-style ramen in Osaka or Kansai Region look at:
Ippudo Ramen (West of Nishiki Market west exit)
Ichiran Ramen (Basically there is one in every popular area in Kyoto & Osaka)
??? (Some backalley in Kyoto near Teramachidori. Ate there on my first F&E night to Japan. Good food and cute waitress)
tenkaippin ramen (South of the department store above JR Namba station & along the right side of the main road going north from Yasaka Shrine West (Gion) entrance main) They have three types of soup. Yatai, classic, and original. Don't get the meanings but they are great!

If i remember more I will post them.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread