Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Taking food home from restaurant 2015/12/6 18:33
I was told that taking food home from restaurants is not an option. Is this the case even at an American style restaurants?

I went to TGIFridays in Tokyo and the portion was much larger than I expected. I had a lot of food leftover, but I didn't take it home like I normally would in America because I was told that isn't an option in Japan.

Is this true? If not, is there a phrase in Japanese I can say?
by . (guest)  

Re: Taking food home from restaurant 2015/12/7 10:56
Depends on the restaurant. Many will not allow you to take food home (and don't provide boxes anyway), while others are fine with the practice. You just have to ask. Btw, restaurants that advertise a take out menu can almost always provide boxes to take home leftovers.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Taking food home from restaurant 2015/12/7 11:54
The problem is that you need a special license to provide take-out service. Restaurants without a take-out license aren't allowed to let you bring food home, even as leftovers.

Most restaurants don't have the license, but if they advertise take-out, then they do.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Taking food home from restaurant 2015/12/7 15:26
It is indeed an "option." And it greatly depends on the season and region.

In any case, pointing at your own food and asking for "take out" is very common. If they say no, that is that.

The reason they might say no has more to do with food poisoning than license. Especially during the humid summer, and particularly when major food poisoning like O-157 is spreading, they may not allow it, and that is for your own safety.

But you can bring along your own tupperware and take home leftovers discreetly at your own risk. The restaurant will simply ignore it and will not take any responsibility for it. But then, if you are a temporary visitor to Japan, it is wiser to pay attention to what the restaurant says about updated info on food poisoning.

On a related note, taking leftovers home was/is traditionally done in Japan. It is part of the tea ceremony manners.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread