Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Blackberry 9900 for internet during trip? 2015/12/20 12:23
I'm not tech savvy, and am having trouble trying to find out if my Blackberry 9900 will work during my 2-week trip.

I want to be able to check maps on the go, and send check-ins via whatsapp to my contacts back home (since I'm travelling solo, I just want to make sure people know where I'm at just in case!)
I don't need it to connect to my carrier or anything (I don't want crazy roaming charges, I always take out my simcard when I travel)

My question is what do I need to connect my Blackberry to the internet (I've seen things like pocket wifi & sim chips - but again... not tech savvy so I'm lost) and if my blackberry will even be compatible.

Any help in this area would be super appreciated!
by HaliRose  

Re: Blackberry 9900 for internet during trip? 2015/12/20 17:40
Hi HaliRose,

When I went to Japan this summer, I didn't know either whether my phone would work in Japan. I'm not knowledgeable in the area of cellular networks, so I rented a pocket WiFi router from here:

https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/services/pocket-wifi

I liked that router. I was able to connect my phone and laptop to it and have Internet access everywhere, including on the trains, in my hotel room, in a little town called Oarai... anywhere! I had no problems accessing the Internet with that router. I turned it on, threw it in my backpack, and just went on my way.

I'm not sure whether your phone in particular will work in Japan, but even if it does, you may incur roaming charges. I read that major U.S. carriers such as AT&T have agreements with Japanese carriers such as NTT DoCoMo so the latter will allow AT&T customers to roam on DoCoMo's network but at an expensive price.

The safest bet, in my opinion, is to rent the WiFi router I linked to above and then connect your Blackberry phone to it. You can then access the Internet from your phone. The instructions that come with the router are very easy to follow.

Hope that helps!
by bpdelacruz rate this post as useful

reply to this thread