Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

more definite guide to shopping Tokyo 2016/1/2 17:46
Is there a definitive list of supermarkets and all types of stores in Tokyo available?

What I initially tried to do was type in 'スーパー' in Google Maps by the location of my apartment. This is what I found:
スーパー:
- リフレッシュ住吉
- 三コ河田店
- (株)よしや 柳町店
- スカイコート新宿曙橋
- ライフ若松河田駅前店
- 丸正食品(株) 店舗若松町店
- はんこスーパー曙橋店

Then, I just dot frustrated at trying to only use Japanese and switched to Google English and found a list of stores from a website.
http://foodsaketokyo.com/2011/06/23/where-do-tokyoites-shop-for-food/

Among the stores listed only this one was 'close' to me in 市谷仲之町:
イトーヨーカドー

When I went to this store, I must have seen two or three other smaller supermarkets on the way including a Co-op right next door to イトーヨーカドー. But this store did not have a number of things I was looking for such as shower curtains, or bath mats among other things. So, the lady working there recommended I go to a store called 東急ハンズ. She it is the closest store to my apartment that carries everything I could ever need. I thought I would inquire here anyway.

I'd just like to know if there a link or something for the markets, supermarkets, farmers markets, department stores, etc. etc. I will be here for three months and would like to make the most of my time here.

OR

I could just tackle each issue on its own:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2450_what.html

According to the above link, there are exactly eleven types of shopping places in Japan. Rather compile a big list, I could just figure out my area in Shinjuku near 市谷仲之町. My strategy is to simply type the name of each of these places into Google Maps and see what pops up. Besides this, I could also do a Google search of the type of shopping place + 新宿.

Here are the names of these places in Japanese:
1. デパート
2. 'electronics store' in Japanese?
3. 100円ショップ
4. 'convenience store' in Japanese?
5. モール
6. アーケード街
7. 地下街
8. 寺院 / 宮市
9. 市場
10. 蚤の市
11. ストア

So, what do you think?
by SamuelBrown (guest)  

Re: more definite guide to shopping Tokyo 2016/1/3 11:31
Here are some places closest to where you're staying:

1. デパート
Isetan is closest, or go to Shinjuku station; there are around ten department stores within a few minutes of the station.

2. 'electronics store' in Japanese?
Again, Shinjuku station - Yamada Denki or Yodobashi Camera

3. 100円ショップ
There's a 100-yen Lawson on the Akebonobashi Shotengai, but it's mostly food. For a real 100-yen shop, go to the basement of Petit Maruetsu in front of Ichigaya station.

4. 'convenience store' in Japanese?
'コンビニ' - there are several right at your intersection.

5. モール
Hmm, I guess the shopping mall at Iidabashi station would qualify.

6. アーケード街
Just a shopping street that's covered. Ueno or Asakusa, but not worth a special trip.

7. 地下街
Underground mall - there's a big one in Shinjuku running between Shinjuku 3-chome and Shinjuku stations, and north of there.

8. 寺院 / 宮市
Asakusa I guess.

9. 市場
Just means market.

10. 蚤の市
Flea market - I don't know where you'd find one.

11. ストア
Kind of like a convenience store, but not as convenient.

As for supermarkets, I'd recommend Life: ライフ若松河田駅前店
There's also a decent branch of Santoku on the way to Life.

But yeah, go to Tokyu Hands for curtains and stuff - that's what everyone does. There's also a housewares shop on Shinjuku-dori a few blocks west of Yotsuya station, on the north side of the street; sorry I can't remember the name.
by Umami Dearest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: more definite guide to shopping Tokyo 2016/1/3 13:55
1. Do you know what 'electronics store' is in Japanese?
2. For number nine, did I translate 'public market' incorrectly?

Most importantly, is my method of locating places the best way to proceed? If not can you recommend a better alternative?

Thank you for the list!
by SamuelBrown rate this post as useful

Re: more definite guide to shopping Tokyo 2016/1/3 17:18
I think electronics shops are usually called 電気屋さん.

For public market, you probably translated it correctly, I'm just not sure exactly what it is. Maybe something in a small town?

I don't know any useful directories of shops, so searching Google or maybe Google Maps is usually what I do. Other people here might have better ideas though.

(BTW the はんこスーパー that came up in your search for a supermarket is actually a store that sells hanko seals, so searching isn't always foolproof. )

Good luck!
by Umami Dearest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: more definite guide to shopping Tokyo 2016/1/4 12:00
Most importantly, is my method of locating places the best way to proceed? If not can you recommend a better alternative?

Its a start, but not a particularly good method since google map's listings are far from comprehensive and not particularly well keyworded.

Best way to find specific types of stores or products is probably via recommendations either online or from other locals, and definitely don't be afraid to go out and explore your area. That's the really the best way to figure out what is available in your immediate area and more importantly, what works best for you.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread