Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

English play group 2016/1/6 14:19
Has anyone had experience starting up an English speaking play group that is willing to share how to go about doing so? How to go about advertising? Where to hold the session? What kind of activities? Any other tips? My older child is an ichinensei..... do you think this age would be too late (i.e., too hard to get participants) because everyone must be busy with other scheduled activities already like sports or music or kumon or juku or even just busy with family?

How to set up such a play group if many of the potential mothers are likely to be Japanese and not speak English themselves (we don't live in an area heavily populated with foreigners). I myself do not have strong leadership or organizational skills. I only have a very strong desire to make sure my children are exposed to as much English as possible.
by menj (guest)  

Re: English play group 2016/1/7 01:16
There are many facebook groups like Tokyo mothers group or Yokohama mothers group, Try to join any of those forums, its a mix of Japanese & Non Japanese mothers & you can see many events like play dates happening frequently in multiple areas
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: English play group 2016/1/7 02:16
Ah yes, I forgot to mention I already know about meetup groups and groups from Facebook. But I guess I was wondering more if it was possible to do it the old fashioned way, not via computer. We are not in Tokyo or Osaka or I would have an easier time finding one to join. Where I am, I would have to start a group from scratch as opposed to joining an already existing one. But I prefer not to do it via computer because of lack of computer literacy (I often have lots of trouble with the computer but no one to turn to when trouble happens).
by menj (guest) rate this post as useful

What about this idea instead? 2016/1/14 13:38
I wonder if it is a good idea to go to a school or a university and ask about whether it is possible to see if anyone is interested in coming to our home to just talk about anything (in English)? That way, the student(s) could practice English and at the same time my children would get more exposure to hearing English from sources other than me. Obviously it wouldn't be a playgroup then, but at least it's getting them some extra English exposure. Although I am a native English speaker, I am not an English teacher, so I wouldn't plan on charging. I just want to converse, not teach English. Would the schools frown upon this for any reason? Thoughts anyone?
by menj (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread