Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Difference Between Usage? 2016/1/8 01:24
Hello Everyone.
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I did search the forums and couldn't find an exact answer to my question.

Recently I have been using Rosetta Stone to study Japanese, as I'm just too burned out using the book method after years of Chinese study.

Anyway, from Rosetta Stone I seen the sentence
彼は朝働きます。

I know from some searching that 働きます is the polite form of the verb ~to work~. However, what I am confused about is that the program also taught me the て form of the same verb 働いています which I take it to mean doing.

Now my question is does the translation vary from between the sentences depending on which form is used?

(1) 彼は朝働きます。
(2) 彼は朝働いています。

I assume that "1" means that "He works in the morning"
while "2" means that "He is working in the morning" ?

Thanks for all of the help in clearing this up. I'm just getting started on all of the different forms in Japanese and just want to make sure I get off on the right track.
by ValinEndac  

Re: Difference Between Usage? 2016/1/8 11:41
(1) 彼は朝働きます。
(2) 彼は朝働いています。
You are correct grammatically if 彼は働いています.
But adding 朝 in (2), you are telling when asked what he does or is doing these days, then you say " 彼は朝働いています" .
If asked what he does in the morning, then you say "彼は朝は働いています".

by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Difference Between Usage? 2016/1/8 20:53
I assume that "1" means that "He works in the morning"
while "2" means that "He is working in the morning" ?

That is correct. In other words, they both mean the same thing although it may depend on the context.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Difference Between Usage? 2016/1/10 15:44
Thank you Ay and Uco.

I appreciate the explanations on the sentences. It is definitely helping me to get a better handle on Japanese grammar.
by ValinEndac rate this post as useful

reply to this thread