Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Stream Movies/TV (Netflix) via pocket WiFi? 2016/1/16 04:41
Hello, I have a rather long trip coming up to Japan with my Fianc� and I'm sure there will be many nights we'll just want to stay in the room and watch TV/Movies on my tablet before bed.

Is there any particular pocket WiFi you would recommend for large amounts of data use like this? I fear with most plans we would quickly hit our data cap and have our connection slowed as a result.
by Higgz  

Re: Stream Movies/TV (Netflix) via pocket WiFi? 2016/1/16 07:58
There are several companies that have unlimited downloads, but there's usually a cap where it starts to slow. I think your biggest problem would actually be the proxy; you won't be able to access Netflix outside of your home country without a proxy to sneak around it (source: can't get American Netflix in Australia without some cheating).
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stream Movies/TV (Netflix) via pocket WiFi? 2016/1/18 11:14
as above - the main problem will be a restricted service once you have watched too much. Within a day or two your device will be near useless.

You would be much better off loading up your laptop with media before you go.
by pas7680 rate this post as useful

Re: Stream Movies/TV (Netflix) via pocket WiFi? 2016/1/18 11:17
Most Japanese hotels offer free internet in the room, so data caps shouldn't be an issue. The main problem is being able to access NA Netflix in Japan. You'll need to run a vpn or proxy to do that, but it may make steaming untenable. You might want to dl movies to your device instead just in case.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Stream Movies/TV (Netflix) via pocket WiFi? 2016/1/18 12:20
Also, Netflix recently announced that they will be stopping proxies accessing Netflix from overseas. So you won't be able to go that route anyway.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stream Movies/TV (Netflix) via pocket WiFi? 2016/1/19 01:50
Thanks for the replies everybody. I'll be trying to use hotel Wi-Fi when I can, but they can often be slow. I think I'll still think it makes sense to get the highest limit I can get. I'm willing to pay, but it seems no company offers anything that is unlimited.

I don't believe the Netflix proxy ban is completely in effect yet, and there are ways around it regardless.

Pupuru has one that says unlimited, but I don't know if it is truly unlimited, I really wish they would make note of their limits more clearly rather than simply calling most plans unlimited!
by Higgz rate this post as useful

Re: Stream Movies/TV (Netflix) via pocket WiFi? 2016/1/20 06:18
Check the small print (which may of course be in Japanese). Some services/deals have specific blocks on streaming, regardless of other limitations.

Your best bet is to download stuff before you go or take DVDs to play on your laptop. I think Amazon allow you to download and retain some content for specific periods of time:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1003016691

by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stream Movies/TV (Netflix) via pocket WiFi? 2016/1/21 16:42
Actually at Sakura Mobile it is possible to choose data package with no cap which makes it unlimited. The thing is that it is up to you how much you want to order. However, speed stays fast so that movie streaming is super possible! I used 10 GB plan so my kids could watch cartoons occasionally.
Here is the link
https://www.sakuramobile.jp/pay-as-you-go-wifi/

by Tommy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stream Movies/TV (Netflix) via pocket WiFi? 2016/1/22 08:26
Thank you Tommy! That's perfect. So you can get 10GB and then tack on additional data as needed; exactly what I needed, and the price seems very reasonable as well.

How did you find the speed? HD video worthy? Did you happen to travel in Hokkaido of Tohoku? Those will be my primary areas for my first month in Japan.
by Higgz rate this post as useful

Re: Stream Movies/TV (Netflix) via pocket WiFi? 2016/1/22 23:22
I have a Netflix U.S. account, and since there is a Netflix Japan now, you can easily log in with your credentials on Netflix Japan. Your selection is limited, but won't ruin your evening.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stream Movies/TV (Netflix) via pocket WiFi? 2017/3/17 15:09
Most of the hotels in Japan offers free internet connection, so internet is not the problem. The only problem is you can't able to access US Netflix Netflix in Japan. You will need a PureVPN https://www.purevpn.com/Japan-vpn-service.php to connect US server to access US Netflix or you can download movies on your device.
by crasskitty rate this post as useful

Re: Stream Movies/TV (Netflix) via pocket WiFi? 2017/3/18 23:34
Netflix has recently (I know on iPad/iPhone for sure) started allowing downloads.... So you could download your favourite films/series' at home and watch them even on the plane in offline mode. There are a few things you can't download, but I it's worth looking at.
by SwiftyRich rate this post as useful

Re: Stream Movies/TV (Netflix) via pocket WiFi? 2017/3/19 02:48
Netflix has recently (I know on iPad/iPhone for sure) started allowing downloads.... So you could download your favourite films/series' at home and watch them even on the plane in offline mode. There are a few things you can't download, but I it's worth looking at.
by SwiftyRich rate this post as useful

Re: Stream Movies/TV (Netflix) via pocket WiFi? 2017/3/19 20:09
I agree, the internet won't be much of a problem for streaming to a tablet. The problem is going to be either the proxy or VPN. You would be better off taking the media files with you or loading them onto your tablet.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread