Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Trading Japanese Stocks 2016/1/28 14:34
Hello, I'm a Canadian working as an English teacher in Japan.
It's my third year and lately I've been interested in dealing with the stock market in Japan.

I've signed up for a Rakuten stock market account and have set up everything but I was worried about my tax situation so I haven't started buying any stocks yet.

I have a few questions.

1. Is it legal for a Canadian to live in Japan and deal with stocks?
2. How do we go about filing taxes? At this moment, I am exempt from Japanese taxes but I do file my Canadian taxes.

Note: I plan to stay and live in Japan for a long time, so I don't plan on quitting or leaving any time soon.

It'd be great if anyone could offer any advice or suggestions.

Thanks!

acco
by acco (guest)  

Re: Trading Japanese Stocks 2016/1/28 23:36
since you have some kind of residential status (visa), you can open an account at Rakuten securities.
I assume you want to deal Japanese company's stocks in Japan.
1. it depends on Canadian law, not on Japanese law.
2. Open 特定口座, tokutei-koza with 源泉徴収あり,gensen-choushu-ari. the tax will be withheld automatically, if necessary.
特定口座、源泉徴収あり is 分離課税,bunnri-kazei. it means the tax will be charged without summing other incomes.
if you choose other options, you have to file tax return. your trades will be reported to tax office automatically by Rakuten securities.
do not trade stocks in 一般口座, ippan-koza.
do not trade FX. otherwise, you have to file.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread