Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Between jobs health insurance 2016/1/30 22:42
I have found some things but I dont fully get it so I'm here.

I will end my contract on March 31, 2016 with my company. If I don't have a job how exactly do I go about getting health insurance?

If you explain like I am 5 it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
by donnysf  

Re: Between jobs health insurance 2016/1/31 08:49
Japan has several health insurance systems depending on work type. For the average foreign residents, only two are relevant:

- Employeesf Health Insurance: you should get enrolled into this (expensive) program by the company if you are a regular employee (as opposed to a contract worker).

- National Health Insurance: this is the (cheaper) program that everybody not covered by the other programs should be joining.

So the question is: what are you currently enrolled in? If you are enrolled in the Employeesf Health Insurance, then you should join the National Health Insurance from April by going to the city hall. But if you happen to be enrolled in the National Health Insurance, then you don't have to change anything.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Between jobs health insurance 2016/1/31 11:28
Hi

I think I am enrolled in the employee one because I get my health insurance now through my job.

So come April 1st I should go to my local yakusho (city hall) not immigration center? and ask for national health insurance?

Thank you!!
by donnysf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread