Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Singapore - Japan Income Tax 2016/2/15 11:55
Hello,

If I work in Japan for at least a year (while having a zairyuu card) and my salary is paid by a company in Singapore to a Singapore bank account, would I need to pay Japanese income tax?

Of course I would have to use that money for my daily living expenses too, somehow. Is there any difference if I use a Japanese or foreign credit card?

Thanks in advance.
by iberico (guest)  

Re: Singapore - Japan Income Tax 2016/2/15 14:11
You are very unlikely to be able to obtain a Japanese credit card if you stay only one year. If you open a Japanese account, jou will get an ATM card, possibly a debit card depending on your bank.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Singapore - Japan Income Tax 2016/2/15 17:50
"If I work in Japan for at least a year (while having a zairyuu card) and my salary is paid by a company in Singapore to a Singapore bank account"
what kind visa do you want to have ?
I think you can't have a certificate which shows your income in Japan.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Singapore - Japan Income Tax 2016/2/15 18:11
^ I checked the Japanese embassy in Singapore website. Should be this one if I do want to work in Japan WORKING IN JAPAN / LONG-TERM STAY BEYOND 90 DAYS

http://www.sg.emb-japan.go.jp/visa_longterm.htm
by iberico (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Singapore - Japan Income Tax 2016/2/15 19:58
If your employer is a Singaporean entity who sends you to Japan on an assignment for one year, with all salaries paid into your Singaporean bank account, I assume that is done under "Inter-company Transferee" visa. If that is the case, and if it is only for one year, it should be possible (without paying any income tax in Japan).

It would be easiest if you just bring your credit card (internationally-branded) over from Singapore to use it, and use a limited number of ATMs to withdraw cash from your Singaporean bank account. (If you are hired by a non-Japanese entity, you are unlikely to be able to obtain a Japan-issued credit card.)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Singapore - Japan Income Tax 2016/2/16 01:37
If your income tax is deducted and paid in Singapore while you live and work in Japan, you are not a tax resident in Japan due to double taxation agreement between Japan and Singapore.
If your salary is not deducted and paid in Singapore, you are a tax resident in Japan and then you need to pay your income tax in Japan. Ask at your work for more info.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Singapore - Japan Income Tax 2016/2/16 12:29
I don't think the things described above work well.
if your salary is paid in Singapore, you are working in Singapore, not working in Japan. I think you can't get a working visa in Japan. you may get a visa which allows you staying in Japan.
are there any visas which allows foreigners to stay for a long term, except for student visa (or similar visas).
for a longer staying in Japan, you have to have a sponsor living in Japan. the sponsor must clarify the purpose of stay and financial evidence. there is no visa for rich persons.

if your company has a branch office in Japan, you work in Japan, and your salary is paid in Singapore, I think it is illegal. your company will be punished.

Re: Singapore - Japan Income Tax 2016/2/16 12:52
ken,

Have you heard of "Intra-company transferee" visa? (企業内転勤)This happens often when a non-Japanese company, which has a branch office in Tokyo, sends its staff to Japan.

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/long/visa2.html
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Singapore - Japan Income Tax 2016/2/16 14:34
then, how they pay the salary, with no payment of income tax (of Japan) deduction ? I am saying it is illegal.

Re: Singapore - Japan Income Tax 2016/2/27 14:17
TS does not need to pay tax in Japan. There is a tax treaty between Japan and Singapore. You do not pay tax in both countries, only one. Being paid by a Singapore entity to a Singapore bank account, you are a tax resident of Singapore and all Singapore taxes apply to your income. You will not be double taxed in Japan.

Lucky you.
by hitori rate this post as useful

reply to this thread