Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 27

1 2
next

Any tips on my plan of moving to Japan 2016/2/15 18:29
I'm sure anyone who has seen my last two posts is sure to enjoy this one just as much.

So after 4 months of Walmart, and no answer on transferring from corporate, or HR I decided to take a new path.

Here it is.
I'm enlisting in the Air force with a general understanding of Japanese. I'm by no means fluent, but i'm fairly conversational. Probably about as good with Japanese at this point as I am with German.

I know I cant be sure if ill be stationed in Japan/Germany my first contact (4years), but during that time I will be taking community college courses on Japanese. Being fluent in Japanese is a solid guarantee of being stationed there along with the general fact statistically most AF enlistees get stationed in there top 3 base picks.(Also I scored all around well on my test asvab, so my jobs wont be to limited.)

So here comes the by far most ludicrous part.
I have no plans of going through college to end up at a desk job.
So I will do AF as a carrier eventually marry into Japan if i'm lucky, and meet a nice women.
This does not mean I wont do college. It just means I wont leave the AF for a desk job, or wont do college just for a desk job in the AF.

What do you guys think? "Crazy idea of someone who just wants the easy way out", or "Wont be fun, but it will work"
by Jrthe3rd  

Re: Any tips on my plan of moving to Japan 2016/2/15 19:57
A few questions come to mind: what do you want to do as a career, and what is wrong with "desk job"? What would you do if you got relocated from Japan? What would you do if you met a nice non-Japanese woman? Do you realize that relying on a marriage to get residency in a country is an awful idea? Just MHO.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any tips on my plan of moving to Japan 2016/2/15 20:53
As for career it can vary. Mostly my preference would be repair/resupply of aircraft.
Here is the thing though. You can change your job every contract (4 years) with out losing your pay.
I want to do field work, but i'm very flexible on what I want for a career. This is because honestly I don't have a clue what I want to do for a living.

I just don't want to spend my 20's and on behind a desk. It's not like it's the worst thing to happen, and it's not like i wont eventually in age end up doing desk work. I just don't want that to be my whole life.

I have no delusions of spending the next 40 years only stationed in Japan. I'm sure they will place me all over the place, but that's why i'm joining.

I know it's an awful decision, and it's a "what if" situation. Honestly if I still want to live in Japan by time I retire, and don't have a wife (....) then i'm sure I can find a way to move there.

Trust me i wont be marrying an American women.
by Jrthe3rd rate this post as useful

Re: Any tips on my plan of moving to Japan 2016/2/15 22:37
You have no clue as to how the USAF works. Just because you have solid skills in Japanese, it doesn't mean you'll ever go there, except on leave. The military will put you where they want you and that's that. You fill out a "dream sheet" with the places you'd "like" to be stationed, but that's absolutely no guarantee they will even put you in any of those countries.

You're setting yourself up for a major disappointment that may take 4 years to correct. Your recruiter can say what he wants, but unless it's in the "contract", the military can do whatever it chooses with you. There are very few bases in Japan (3) that are Air Force bases and there are many stateside. The chances are small you'll get that in your 4 years. Try to get a job that is only overseas and your chances increase, but even still that's no guarantee.
by > (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any tips on my plan of moving to Japan 2016/2/16 00:10
I just don't want to spend my 20's and on behind a desk. It's not like it's the worst thing to happen, and it's not like i wont eventually in age end up doing desk work. I just don't want that to be my whole life.

Reconsider this. I read your last topic, you were willing spend your 20s at Wal-Mart just to get into Japan, but you won't do desk work? Are you sure about this? It's generally better pay, conditions, and job security. I spent much of my 20s working in supermarkets, I think that either we have dramatically different ideas of what makes a good job, or you simply don't know what you want except that you want to live in Japan.

No offence as I genuinely want the best outcome for you, but here's an idea: Your Wal-Mart plan was never going to work out, many people politely told you this but you seemed pretty confident that Wal-Mart could bypass Japanese immigration procedures to get a supermarket employee a job overseas. So what makes you think this plan is perfect? The theory is at least a little more sound but at least with Wal-Mart it wasn't such a gamble. Here you are potentially setting yourself up for years on an aircraft carrier (or worse) is a conflict zone, when all you wanted was a quiet life in Tama. If there was one thing you could have learned from this it's that we take the advice we ask for. There's a reason getting a degree and a job is such a popular way into the country: it actually works. There's no roll of the dice, if you are qualified for a job, have a degree, and aren't wanted by INTERPOL, then you are almost certain to get in.

If you're happy to do whatever the Air Force tells you, wherever they tell you, then go and enjoy it. But I'm not convinced that's what you want.
by | (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any tips on my plan of moving to Japan 2016/2/16 01:26
Like i said I don't expect to be deployed to Japan on my first 4 year contract, or even the majority of them, but i am going out of my way to improve my odds the best I can.

I have no real way to afford a Bachelors degree. I can get an associates at best. I had the Walmart assistance, but that was online courses for about 10 years at best.

I refuse to get a student loan. Nothing could tie me down more then that.

I knew the Walmart transfer plan was a bust from the first week, but I used there free Rosetta stone to it's best, and tried to use the education assistance.

Regardless of it all really the Air force is my best option even with out the moving to Japan plan.
I cant afford a BA, and an associates is near useless at this point especially considering it would cost me about a 1000 a year.

I know this next part is going to sound immature.
Both my parents didn't finish college. They both work desk jobs.
It's not like they have it horrible, but they could have it so much better. At this moment they are just counting down the days to retirement even though it's a decade or two away. (They aren't literally counting the days. They are just making these grand plans for retirement.)
I spend alot of time in politics. It's my hobby. It's also easily the biggest reason I don't want to live in the US my whole life.
I know every country has there issues, but after following Japanese, and German politics for the past year they really just don't compare to how bad it is here.

Also I wouldn't mind a navel deployment if I were to join the navy. That sounds like a good time to me. I wouldn't be in a combat zone because you can sign on to be excluded from combat when you enlist.

Here is the thing though. I don't want a quite life. I want to go to as many places as I can, and do as much as I can before i retire.

That's not really something people in my situation have access to easily.

Re: Any tips on my plan of moving to Japan 2016/2/16 03:00
If all you care about is seeing the world then maybe it will turn out that some form of military job is a good option. You're asking on japan-guide though, based on that and the other things you have said it's pretty obvious that Japan is pretty high up (#1 or 2) on your list of priorities. Join the Air Force and you may not end up in Japan, as you know. You are in your 20s or at least late teens now so if you go this route then you could hit 30 without ever setting foot in Japan. Whether or not this is a risk you are willing to take is not something anyone here can decide for you.

If it were me then I would say that joining the military is a bad decision. I would just suck it up and get a student loan. One way or another it seems you will have to make a sacrifice anyway, my choice would be the one that gives the best chance of doing what I want to do.

Re: Any tips on my plan of moving to Japan 2016/2/16 03:50
I'm doing my absolute best to stack the odds in my corner for getting deployed in Japan.

I'm focusing on jobs that have relatively high turn over rates, but not due to it being a bad/to intensive of a job. Also i'm finding out what jobs the Japanese air force bases actually have to choose from.

Becoming fluent in Japanese will also help immensely.

I'm talking with family, and friends that have been stationed in Japan at one point. (6 to be exact) To find out why, and what job they did.

Ofcource I want to end up in Japan, but how I do that is really up to chance for awhile. If i have some worldly experiences on the way then all the better.

Worst case scenario i get stationed in my home state the whole time. In that case it was all a waist, but if I did student loans I doubt i'd pay them off till i'm in my late 30's.

Any tips on what do do once I get stationed in Japan? (Optimism)
My goal is to take courses for Japanese, and maybe go into town once in awhile.
If i get stationed in Okinawan (Kadena) I honestly have no clue how i would go about visiting the mainland. Maybe on off leave, but i'm certain i would spend alot of that with family.

North mainland (Misawa) would be a 4 hour trip there, and 4 hours back by bullet train to get to the major cities like Tokyo.

Mt Fuji (Yokato) is right next to Tokyo.

Lets say I get stationed in one of these places.
What would advice be on interacting outside of base?

What are the opinions of Us military personal based in country? I know Misawa had protests not to long ago by the nearby citizens.

Ideally being stationed in Yakato next to Tokyo would leave time for taking actual classes in town to learn Japanese. Somewhere around 3 classes a week.
Is that actually possible?

The biggest one, and this is for any Ret. Air force members.
What do you do in Japan if you get stationed there? I know you work 40-45 hour work weeks just like in the states, but what does that imply for after work?

Re: Any tips on my plan of moving to Japan 2016/2/16 06:03
Those questions about what to do once you get there are better left until you actually have your orders to go to Japan.

Learning Japanese is not going to get you to Japan any quicker than having full knowledge of Swahili.

There are no jobs specific to USFJ bases, so don't go looking for any.

It's Yokota AB, btw.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any tips on my plan of moving to Japan 2016/2/16 07:56
Aiming to end up marrying a Japanese citizen is a terrible idea. I'm not saying never try, but don't go to Japan and think, "Great, let's look for a wife." It may impact on the relationship, cause you to get married too soon and regret it, make your wife resent you...just a poor idea. Get yourself to Japan and stabilised there on your own terms.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any tips on my plan of moving to Japan 2016/2/16 08:53
I was stationed at Misawa AB for two years way back before you were even born. Back then, my specialty code allowed me only 8 duty assignments, 4 in Europe and 4 in the Pacific. Since I was born in Spain, I wanted one of the 4 European assignments. My last choice was the one I was assigned: Misawa AB, Aomori-ken. I was not a happy camper and my desire to be stationed close to home had absolutely no influence in their decision. They put me there because they needed me there, that's all.

My "schedule" was 12 days on, 3 days off. I worked 4 swing shifts, 4 mid-shifts and 4 day watches before I got 3 days off. When I flew, I had a 2 hour preflight briefing, 8-10 flight and a four hour post-flight debriefing. Those days were rough. There were times when I would be able to see the sun for 4 days straight, as the building I worked at didn't have any windows.

I can't tell you what I did when I was there, since I signed a non-disclosure agreement in perpetuity and you don't have a Top Secret SCI/SBI clearance or a need-to-know. Suffice it to say, we worked on "Security Hill" and my unit was the 6920th Electronic Security Group (now defunct). You can Google it if you wish, as my unit designation is not classified. I cannot, however, agree or disagree with anything that Wikipedia or any other website may say about it.

When I was there, 1987-1989, personal computers were in their infancy and the most powerful moderately prices personal computer didn't even have a Pentium chip yet. There was no such thing as "the internet". Getting around off-base was a bit of a gamble if you didn't know the kanji symbols for towns, as most signage 5 miles from base had no Roman characters. People would use landmarks, such as this or that store, to get around until you figured things out.

Nowadays, there are many FB pages, so I'm a member of a few Misawa-based pages but they are closed groups and having been or currently stationed there is a requirement. There are many people who ask many questions about what events and where they are happening in the area. If I had had that kind of access, my time there would have been more fulfilling.

Misawa is "the point at the tip of the spear" as the motto went. It's only one hour flying time from the former Soviet Union and it showed. There were many exercises and it didn't matter what time of the day it was. You had to wear MOPP gear and it was very difficult to drive to work in four layers of clothing, two layers of boots and gloves and a gas mask. They happened quite often and operational readiness exercises from the 432nd Tactical Fighter Wing were a pain in the butt for those who weren't assigned to that unit, as we had to participate as well.

Look, I don't know how the Air Force is now, but if it's anything close to what it was back then, you don't really have a say in where you go. Your knowledge of Japanese is not mission-oriented and not necessary, as you don't work side-by-side with the JASDF forces unless you're in very few positions-and I mean FEW! Knowing Japanese won't influence where you end up. There are only three bases where AF members have a presence (for the most part): Misawa, Yokota and Kadena. It doesn't leave you many opportunities and the chances are not too good. Look at me, Japan was my last choice, behind Hawaii, Alaska, the Philippines, Germany, Greece, England and Germany. And that's precisely where I ended up.

Are you willing to risk many years of work in a place you may not be happy with for the off-chance you get to be stationed there? Back then, overseas assignments for single people were two years, three if you were married. You could extend your stay if they needed you, and many did. Japan is a choice assignment now (compared to Afghanistan, for example) and many people who wind up there want and do extend their assignments. That makes it less available for you.

I would seriously think twice about joining the Air Force for the chance of getting there on the roll of the dice. You may end up in a combat zone. Or worse, in the middle of nowhere in the US. Some Air Force bases in the States are literally in the middle of nowhere.

I wish you all the luck in the world, but there are many things stacked against you if you go that route.

And don't even get me started about getting married to a Japanese national just to stay there. I'll let others discourage you in that arena.
by John B digs Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any tips on my plan of moving to Japan 2016/2/16 09:01
I apologize, as I didn't want to sign on as a "guest".
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Any tips on my plan of moving to Japan 2016/2/16 09:32
Have you realised that joining the Air Force means you will JOIN THE AIR FORCE? It's not all about getting stationed overseas and travelling the world. It's about being part of the defence force, possibly being sent to combat zones to fight, a tough and rigorous lifestyle (not a lot of time off for sightseeing), being moved where the Air Force wants or needs you to be...

If your goal is to get to Japan and stay there, don't go this route. You won't get a lot of freedom and there's only a chance you'll end up in Japan, as other posters have said. How will you feel, and what will you do, if you get posted elsewhere? If you never get assigned to Japan? If you end up being sent to Afghanistan or Syria?

People have consistently told you, over and over, that your most guaranteed route is to go to college, get a degree, and find yourself a job in Japan. It is actually guaranteed and there's no risk of being sent to a war zone.

Also, don't go the marriage route. If someone like you married me and I found out that it was just to get permanent residency, I would make your life a living hell for that. It's not fair to your future wife, even if you do end up loving her - your initial intention was to get the visa. It could affect the whole relationship and you may get married too fast and wind up regretting your decision. Plus, if you do get lucky enough to be stationed in Japan, do you think you'll get enough time off-base to meet and start a relationship with a Japanese woman?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any tips on my plan of moving to Japan 2016/2/16 13:00
@John B digs Japan
Thank you for the constructive input.
My experience with family members that have recently enlisted in the AF(The past 2 years) is they have gotten there top 3 choices. In all fairness they didn't have any oversea's choices.
The same is so for the few people i know who recently joined other branches. This one guy I worked with got stationed in Germany his first tour as his request was, but he was Army. Army has a much larger presence in Germany.

@... (guest)
I don't think you understand how easy the Air Force is today compared to two decades ago.
Trust me I understand it's military, but it's not as if I would be stationed in the middle of Iraq.
The mission I would pick would put me on a base. Not as any sort of infantry combat role. I get to pick my mission.
If I pick to be a refuel, and repair sure I could be placed close to a war zone in a friendly nation like Saudi Arabia, or turkey at worst, but if i'm refuel repair there is 100% no chance i'm going to be shooting at Syrians rebels with my gun.

There is no real risk of me being deployed in a war zone ESPECIALLY because you can sign a non combat agreement to never be sent to combat for personal typically religious reasons.

My statement was "If I was lucky I would get married".
I would make it clear at first if I marry I would be moving to Japan not bring her back to America. Not because I want to marry for a visa, but because given the option between the two as a side effect of marriage I would pick moving to Japan.

That depends on the base location whether or not I have enough time to meet a women.

Re: Any tips on my plan of moving to Japan 2016/2/16 13:26
You have been posting for months with your unrealistic ideas of moving to Japan, be it a Walmart transfer, a stint in the USAF, and marrying a Japanese national (not a good idea unless you are truly in love with the person).

Without trying to be rude, I think you really need to be realistic period!!!!!!

If you really want to move to Japan, then unfortunately you will need to do some things that you state you absolutely refuse to do, such as get a 4-year college degree. This would be a minimum requirement for any job prospect in Japan, be it teaching English or something else.

You seem really young and a bit naive. Granted, we have all been young and naive. Moreover, having fantasies about what we would like to do in life are part of life too. However, sometimes fantasies are just that..fantasies.

If you really, really want to move to Japan, then you should be willing to make the sacrifices necessary to do so (e.g. college degree, etc.).

You should also spend some time in Japan before you make plans to move there. It is one thing to have this idealized view of Japan that you seem to have, and quite another to live there.

Good luck in your endeavorsc.
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any tips on my plan of moving to Japan 2016/2/16 13:44
If you're going to take 4 years of your life with the goal of getting to Japan, taking out student loans and getting a four year degree is a more secure option than joining the air force imo. You'll be able to study Japanese at the university, possibly participate in study abroad programs that will give you actual time in Japan to decide if you like it or not, and at the end you will at least qualify for a working visa.

If your goal is still to join the military, I think there are intensive programs for people training to be interpreters. One friend's army brother did two years of intensive Japanese and was stationed at Zama in preperation for a career as a military interpreter. That path would at least cover the language learning aspect of your plan, and give you a skill that can be used post-military.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any tips on my plan of moving to Japan 2016/2/16 13:50
Interpreters? I never even checked into that. I assumed it was a position filled by convince not as a carrier.

I'll look into that thank you @Vita.

Re: Any tips on my plan of moving to Japan 2016/2/16 14:11
My experience with family members that have recently enlisted in the AF(The past 2 years) is they have gotten there top 3 choices. In all fairness they didn't have any oversea's choices.
What about the six family members/friends you mentioned earlier who had been sent to Japan? Was that their choice or did they choose somewhere else to go? If you are going to base your expectations on other people's experiences (not an entirely terrible idea, but hardly a good one either), then at least talk to people whose experiences are relevant to your goals and ambitions.

What's concerning to me is that you started this topic with the best intentions, genuinely looking for people's honest opinions. But now that you've got them and the feedback has been, let's be fair, overwhelmingly negative, and you still seem more or less set on this Air Force path you have chosen. You're completely aware that it's a gamble and seem okay with the prospect of ending up in some country you don't care about like Saudi Arabia. As a matter of personal preference, this is one of the last places on Earth I would choose to live. And let me tell you, if the American political situation upsets you that much that you feel the need to escape to Japan/Germany by any means necessary, then Saudi Arabia is not going to be a fun place for you!

It's actually a double gamble too. So you get stationed in Japan, it could happen for all any of us nay-sayers know. What if you don't find a wife? You've said that you're not going to actively seeking someone out to marry for a visa, so you're going to be dating like the rest of us, and you just don't know what you're going to get. From your comment on American women I'm going to guess that you have a very specific idea of what you want in a wife, maybe you're a little picky? That narrows your options even more. Are you prepared for the possibility of being sent home from the Air Force still single, and back to square one as far as spending your life abroad is concerned? If you are, then maybe you are making a good decision.

Re: Any tips on my plan of moving to Japan 2016/2/16 14:31
So the 6 people that have been stationed in Japan at one point were just that. I'm ranging from my cousin who on her first tour got Stationed in Texas (Her first choice) then Japan 8 years later. To my Grandpa who got offered Japan right before he was about to leave the Air force.
I don't base everything off there experiences. It's more of a case of every little bit of info helps. I can't get a general idea of what to expect from a small pot of experiences.
The possibility of ending up in Saudi Arabia is honestly minuscule.
The most likely outcome is I get stationed in the US for 4-8 years then get put in Germany/Japan. That seems like the most frequent experience i'v heard about.

To get into the conversation of marriage for visa. (Again in general the visa is a side effect of marriage, not the goal.)

It's not as if I "picky", but I also wont marry anyone to get a visa. The whole marriage thing is an aspect I can't plan for, or even really guess on what to expect. It was an idea, and kinda just a hope.
For the longest time i'v been dead set against marriage and kids, but as I get older and older those ideas become alot more lenient.

I plan on spending about 40 years in the Air force. I can guarantee in that time with overwhelming odds that I will get stationed in Japan if I stay persistent on that goal.

I expect alot of negative opinions on my plan. That's because non of my plans are meant to be the most obvious path. My fear is if i spend 4 years in college, and because of my financial situation probably 6-8 years. I will eventually just get my self stuck here. Student load, car loan, a job that offers incentives to stay just that little bit longer.

Re: Any tips on my plan of moving to Japan 2016/2/16 14:43
You do understand that you could use the income from a job in Japan to pay back your student loans?

You say if you spend 40 years in the Air Force, you'll almost definitely be stationed in Japan at some time. While that's true, do you really want to wait potentially more than 30 years just for the chance to be in Japan? The college+job route will get you there within ten years, if all goes well and you work hard. No need to take chances and spend years in the Air Force waiting for the opportunity.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 27

1 2
next

reply to this thread