Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

Unique/Good-quality stuffs to buy in Japan 2016/2/17 00:01
I will be in Osaka, Kyoto, and Tokyo for 14 days. Ifm looking to buy something of good quality but is cheaper than in the US (preferably 100USD maximum for each item) and I need your inputs.

In Youtube video I recently watched, they said that at one of the big duty-free stores in Akihabara, rice cooker is their best-selling item (most of their shoppers are Chinese tourists). That really surprised me. I use rice cooker everyday but because of that, it seems like such an ordinary, everyday item that I never really thought about it. Watching this video makes me wonder what else I could be buying in Japan, something of good quality that could last me for years.

To me, anything made in Japan seems like itfd be of good quality. However, Ifm looking for something thatfs cheaper than its counterpart in the US. If theyfre of the similar quality and price, Ifd just buy them in the US.

What is Japan famous for? Can you think of something useful that you use in your daily life? Itfd be even better if this item is only available in Japan. It could be anything, seasonal items (coats, hand-knit sweaters) or everyday items that I might have overlooked. No food or fragile items, please

Thank you for your suggestions
by madisoned  

Re: Unique/Good-quality stuffs to buy in Japan 2016/2/17 12:03
Obviously Japanese cultural goods like kimono or katana (swords) comes to mind. But... you don't seem to care WHAT you're buying as long as you're buying SOMETHING which is a little odd to me. Instead of buying for the sake of buying I feel like you should figure out what you need, then buy.

For example, do you need dishes? Japanese food is often served in many tiny dishes with seasonal designs, so can be a great buy (my mom bought a ton of these kinds of things when she came). But if you don't cook, then while they could be used for display, they aren't as useful to you.

My dad is interested in things like old books and art prints, and they found an antique shop with some gorgeous stuff in the Ueno area (I think it was).

Electronics like cameras also come to mind, but I think they tend to be less expensive overseas anyway, so not sure if that fits.

by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Unique/Good-quality stuffs to buy in Japan 2016/2/17 13:22
Not sure if I expressed myself wrong. I DO care about what I buy. I want to buy something that will last and that I will use.

The problem is I haven't been able to come up with anything and need help brainstorming. Like I said, there are things that I use every day but maybe they just seem so ordinary that I've overlooked (rice cooker was the example). I'm also interested in any cool inventions/tools that people in Japan use to make their lives easier but we don't have in the US

As mentioned, I can't buy any fragile items like glassworks, ceramics, or dishes
by madisoned rate this post as useful

Re: Unique/Good-quality stuffs to buy in Japan 2016/2/17 18:33
How about doing it the old-fashioned way: visit stores and see what you find?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Unique/Good-quality stuffs to buy in Japan 2016/2/17 21:51
Every city & town in Japan seems to have it's own speciality. Your best bet is to look locally as you go.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Unique/Good-quality stuffs to buy in Japan 2016/2/17 22:09
madisoned,

Is your question something like this?
"What are practical souveniors that is worth buying for myself in Japan? I also want it to last long. I want to get some ideas in advance, so that I can visit the right shops. I'm traveling to Kyoto and Osaka from the U.S., if that helps."

Well, as suggested, you can visit one of the many major electronic stores, drug stores and department stores, and ask for advise. Most of them can sell duty-free to foreign visitors, so prices will be cheaper right there.

A quick internet search tells me that things like electric shavers, digital cameras and thermos are non-consumable items popular among foreign tourists.

You also might notice that a lot of everyday clothes are well-made for the price, compared to those commonly sold in the U.S.

http://trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/pickup/20150130/1062428/?P=5&rt=n...
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Unique/Good-quality stuffs to buy in Japan 2016/2/18 00:20
Stationery.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Unique/Good-quality stuffs to buy in Japan 2016/2/18 01:18
How about a hanten? It's a traditional winter coat that is worn around the house. It's very warm, comfortable and practical, and it will last for years... I think you can get a good one for around 40 USD, but they are usually sold in autumn and winter only. Also, make sure that it is made in Japan, and not China .

One more thing that comes to mind are japanese knives... You can get a really good one for 100 USD, just make sure you know how to take proper care of it before you buy it.
by TxF (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Unique/Good-quality stuffs to buy in Japan 2016/2/18 13:36
I'm from the US so I'm often looking for similar items to get as gifts. I usually buy whiskey, knives, sharpening stones, and woodworking tools. JDM golf equipment also comes to mind as well as certain types of camera gear. But those fit rather specific interests.

Other thinks I've known people in your situation buy are good rice cookers (you haven't really seen rice cookers until you've been to a good electronics store!) and washlet toilet seats, but keep in mind the voltage difference.

I'll post more if anything else comes to mind.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Unique/Good-quality stuffs to buy in Japan 2016/2/18 16:32
The Chinese buy stuff because they view 'made in China' domestic stuff to be poor quality, and only trust things they have bought themselves over here.

If you live in the US you can buy almost anything you want, Japanese or not, after reading reviews and ordering online, probably for less than you'd pay here. Why go to the trouble of lugging it back from Japan and getting stung by import duties?

The rice cookers are lovely, but order online and let DHL or Fed Ex transport them to your door and enjoy your holiday without heavy excess baggage.

by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Unique/Good-quality stuffs to buy in Japan 2016/2/19 12:14
If you live in the US you can buy almost anything you want, Japanese or not, after reading reviews and ordering online, probably for less than you'd pay here. Why go to the trouble of lugging it back from Japan and getting stung by import duties?

It's a good point that you can buy almost anything from anywhere these days, but I think that is an oversimplified view of the situation and overlooks so many of the intangible benefits. Don't forget that shopping while traveling can plain be a fun experience and its educational to see how other cultures do it.

Now whether it is cheaper or not depends on the item, but it is unlikely that you'll find JDM products to be cheaper to order from the US. Also keep in mind that US travelers get a $700 duty free allowance, and that DHL/FEDEX are notorious for charging exorbitant, often unnecessary import duty fees. Lots of avenues to save money/get otherwise unobtainable items if you do your research ahead of time.

Then again, if you don't have a specific area of interest to shop for then maybe it's not worth looking for that "unknown great deal" and spend your time/energy just enjoying the shopping experience instead.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Unique/Good-quality stuffs to buy in Japan 2016/2/19 12:42
All of these are great ideas! I was worried that I wouldnft get any responses but everyone has been so kind and helpful.

For now, Japanese kitchen knives and winter clothes are definitely on my list. I might add some chopsticks and wooden bowls. The rice cooker, I will buy online since itfs gonna take up some room. From all the rave reviews Ifve read, Ifm really excited to try a Japanese rice cooker. The ones I buy at Macyfs usually lose its non-stick coating after a year.

@yllwsmrf, thank you for bringing up a really good point about the duty-free allowance. That had not crossed my mind
by madisoned rate this post as useful

Re: Unique/Good-quality stuffs to buy in Japan 2016/2/19 14:48
Note that you may not find much winter clothes since everything is shifting into spring items.

But another thing is that, because you can buy anything on-line these days, you may want to stroll around areas that have a lot of indies shops.

I don't know much about Osaka and Kyoto, but a lot of foreign visitors to Tokyo prefer walking around Shimokitazawa, Daikanyama and Ura-Harajuku, where you'll see second-hand clothes shops and shops in which its business is so small that they don't/can't sell internationally.

There you will find reasonable items that you may not be able to find anywhere else in the world or even anywhere else in Japan. The fun thing is that the locals also prefer to shop in those areas.

Hope you have fun!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Unique/Good-quality stuffs to buy in Japan 2016/2/23 00:21
I feel like my name should be megane edincoat because I always talk about glasses, but I think that they're a good choice. They're cheaper than the US and come in a great variety, including PC glasses (for use on the computer), fishing glasses, sports glasses, and lots of other types.

You may also find that you like some of the home lifestyle goods, like salonpas (this is sold in the UK but I have no idea if it's sold in the US), some of the eye warming things, or kairo.
by edincoat rate this post as useful

Re: Unique/Good-quality stuffs to buy in Japan 2016/3/9 14:31
Hi,

In my previous trips to Japan, I have been collecting cast iron tea pot. Unique and truly Japanese. Brands like Iwachu and Oigen are good. You can get them from shops at Tsukiji to Isetan to online.
Over the years I have collected quite an array of cast iron utensils, like takoyaki pans, tamago pans, shabu shabu pots, wind chimes, paper weights, etc. BTW,they are heavy to carry though.

Try Tokyu Hands in Shibuya, Tokyo and Yodobashi to see what's available.

Oh, you may want to check out Made In Japan Seiko 5 watches, value for money.
by alek-kl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Unique/Good-quality stuffs to buy in Japan 2016/3/9 15:24
Be careful buying electronic items unless you own a transformer. The voltage is different and any items you buy may overheat and burn out.

by Jenn Jett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Unique/Good-quality stuffs to buy in Japan 2016/3/9 17:45
Stationary is really special in Japan, like it was mentioned. Quite innovative and unique.
Also it depends if you are looking for something for yourself or as souvenirs? For women, Japanese cosmetics are famous worldwide, as Japanese women pay a lot of attention to their skin and anti-ageing. The products are very advanced. Some websites tell more about the kind of products beneficial to western women.
www.japonism-beauty.com
by Aude (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Unique/Good-quality stuffs to buy in Japan 2016/3/10 00:18
I'll be going to Tokyo soon for the first time. So no first hand experience from my part. However, what I have read/been told: if you only had time to check out one store - make it Tokyu Hands.
It has been mentioned in this thread already.
The Japanese have the most innovative and amazing gadgets, tools.
by Japan Newbie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Unique/Good-quality stuffs to buy in Japan 2016/3/10 08:42
by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Re: Unique/Good-quality stuffs to buy in Japan 2016/3/11 11:31
Another recommendation is Imabari Towel.
Expensive but feeling is like touching cloud.
http://imabari-towel.jp/

You can touch it in Tokyo.
https://www.i-ori.jp/user_data/iori_asakusa.php

by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread