Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best way to learn Japanese before going? 2016/2/17 15:24
I am planning to travel/study abroad in Japan sometime within the next 1 to 3 years, which I know is awhile, but I wanted to get ahead of the curb and try to learn Japanese now so I won't have to learn as much when I go, cause I'll already know it

I tried Rosetta Stone, but I'm not really getting it. Sure, it's not bad, but I feel like I could learn better with a different method rather than just pictures. So, is Rosetta Stone reall the best way to learn Japanese (cause I am willing to continue it), or is there a better way to learn it (besides actually going there)? Are there any good Japanese language workbooks or something like that?

My school doesn't offer any Japanese classes and there are none nearby by me, just an FYI. The closest one would be maybe about 3 hours away, so I can't really do that.
by JustAnotherGuest (guest)  

Re: Best way to learn Japanese before going? 2016/2/17 16:37
It will totally depend on your learning style. Not everyone is going to learn in the same way. For instance, I find I can learn the language at a reasonable pace, but need an incentive to learn; I rarely study by myself, so take classes to encourage me to keep it up.

Try Googling for Japanese workbook reviews, and see if there's one that suits you. Again, there will be lots out there, and all different styles. My classes use 'Japanese for Busy People', which is fine but I dislike how repetitive it is. It comes with a companion CD and there is also an app that covers the first few chapters.

For learning katakana/hiragana/kanji, I favour the Obenkyo app (available on Android, not sure about iTunes). Has multiple test modes, can customise the tests, shows you the stroke orders and orders kanji by JPLT level.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to learn Japanese before going? 2016/2/17 20:01
there are plenty of options for learning japanese.
BYKI (before you know it) has good software for building vocabulary (it's a lot like using flash cards. you can download lists of cards then go through the program (study the cards, read one side and try to recall the other, then vice versa, then finally type out the translation) it also allows you to refrest the 10 oldest items that you've studied so you can keep refreshed on old words as you learn new ones.

then there's work books (I'm currently working through living language's japanese coursebook) these range from basic to advance.
by crwydryny rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to learn Japanese before going? 2016/2/17 22:22
Some Japanese language schools offer lessons over Skype. That way you get to speak Japanese to an instructor who can correct your pronunciation.

Here's an example:
http://www.mlcjapanese.co.jp/skype_lesson.html

I just found that with a quick Google search, I have no idea if they are any good at what they do.
by [] (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to learn Japanese before going? 2016/2/18 03:47
Rosetta Stone is an expensive flashcard system with a very big marketing budget. It's OK for memorising vocabulary but I've never met or heard of anyone who has truly learnt to use a language properly with it. The above mentioned textbooks are good, Genki and Minna no Nihongo are also very popular. You can use any of these in a class or by yourself, of course there are benefits to both. If you're short on cash, Tae Kim's guide is mostly very good (www.guidetojapanese.org), you'll need to supplement it with word lists of some kind as the vocab selection in the guide is not the best, but you should be more or less set for basic conversation by the end of it.

My personal recommendation for beginners, simply because it's what I do when I learn a new language, would be to complete the Michel Thomas course before diving into a more in-depth textbook like the above. It will give you just enough of a foundation to let get you talking. Though you won't be able to say that much, it's more than enough to whet your appetite and avoid the common problem of getting bored before you've really learnt anything. It's an eight CD, eight hour course not including pauses for giving answers, so even if you don't enjoy listening to the CDs it's over before you know it. One CD per day for eight days would be a nice pace I think, but you can use the course to lay some groundwork very very quickly. I completed MT French and Chinese in one weekend each and was able to progress quite nicely afterwards.
by \\\\\ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to learn Japanese before going? 2016/2/18 17:21
Im studing with Minna No Nihongo. It has 1 book on Japanese, and translation book for England,France,Russia and another.
by nosimon rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to learn Japanese before going? 2016/2/26 00:08
For the best method you need to implement Japanese into your everyday. Whether that is studying a textbook or naming things around you in Japanese and to never let up. One day without it and you lose a lot. I've also found studying before you sleep is a great for me. I wake up thinking about the Japanese I just learned.

I was thinking of getting Rosetta, but found that Human Japanese is almost as good during lower levels and its less than $20. Also I know this is obvious but try to get a native Japanese to speak with you over skype after you've got the basics down or even while you're still a beginner.

I think that's all i can really say since i'm in the same situation as you. Ganbatte yo!
by TravisTheSumarianPrince rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to learn Japanese before going? 2016/2/26 04:29
Try lots of different things. BYKI, lingo, anki, berlitz/rosetta. Personally I use Japanesepod101.com and it works for me. I found BYKI has some weird pronunciations. My wife is trying an app called memorize (? not sure). Different people learn in different ways.

Also, be realistic - it isn't something that is going to magically come to you overnight.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to learn Japanese before going? 2016/2/26 08:42
aah me too I plan to go to Japan in 2-3 years and I started studying japanese by myself this month but I already know the basics, it's just reading, writting and a little of the vocabulary that I have to learn. I use this website:
http://www.learn-japanese-free.com/
I would like to buy books but I can't find some in my town and it's too expensive to order them.
by nekoccha rate this post as useful

reply to this thread