Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

how to get Japanese citizen as hafu 2016/2/19 16:17
Just like everyone else on this site, I am trying to move to Japan. Here's a little background about me: I was born in Japan to a Japanese mother and an American father. I lived in Japan (US Military Base) until I was 13 receiving proper American education but speaking Japanese regularly with family/friends/etc. I speak both languages fluently (definitely stronger in English).

Currently, I am finishing up my last semester at a university in America double-majoring in Asian Studies: Japanese Language / Anthropology with a minor in fine arts. I am so thrilled about studying Japanese and relearning the language, but I am a bit discouraged to hear that there isn't much opportunity for me other than to become an English teacher. Everyone else in my grade has had internships and have already started applying to jobs, but I have no idea what to do from here.

My passion is art, cooking, fashion, music, interior design, basically anything in the creative field. I consider myself to be an artist, and would love to work in the fashion industry. I am also in a band, etc etc etc. I have experience working with children and am currently employed as a Japanese tutor. I am confident enough to say that I understand Japanese culture very well and I think I will be ok once I have a job but I have a few predicaments:

I have a lot of tattoos (arms, legs) and piercings and as lenient as they are here, it is not at all accepted in a professional workplace in Japan. (Teaching job might be out of question ....????) Despite my look, I am very serious and professional. I have a really great work ethic and exceptional communication skills, and have considered looking into translation work. I want to know how to get certified for that; any Japanese proficiency tests I would need to take, etc.

I am 21, turning 22 in two months. I am trying to get a Japanese passport/citizenship and move to Japan and just try to figure it out as a Japanese person rather than trying to get a work Visa. It really sucks that Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship. I want to know how I can obtain that in a timely manner. (before I turn 22, I suppose?) I also want to know about the whole process in general. If I can get the citizenship, I would like to move to Japan and find work doing literally anything.

Sorry if this is a lot, but I want all the insight I can get from you guys. What I want to know most is about getting the Japanese citizenship. Also, if anyone living in Japan could give me insight on how difficult it would be for me (a tattooed hafu girl) to find a job and adjust to living there. Thanks in advance.

by takoyaki (guest)  

Re: how to get Japanese citizen as hafu 2016/2/19 17:35
About Japanese citizenship, talk to your local Japanese embassy or consulate.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: how to get Japanese citizen as hafu 2016/2/23 12:33
If you are happy to work as an English teacher then there is a possibility that tattoos may not be as much of a big issue as you think. I have worked at eikaiwa and even in Japanese schools as an ALT and I am covered in tattoos. All of mine are on my arms and chest, a plain old long-sleeved white shirt covers them. If you have tattoos on the neck, hands, etc. then you will encounter more resistance. Not just because they are more visible, but simply due to the fact that they are more unorthodox and frankly that makes you less employable. Contrary to what some believe, many Japanese understand that tattoos are more of a fashion statement than a mark of criminality, and tolerance for them is definitely growing alongside their popularity with Japanese in your age group. With this in mind, it really does depend on how "extreme" your look is.
by | (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: how to get Japanese citizen as hafu 2016/2/24 01:00
Despite my look, I am very serious and professional.

Interesting for you to say. I thought people with serious tattoos were supposed to be serious and professional.

Anyway, have you thought about coming here to study at a fashion school or an art school? You sound like you're interested. Although those colleges will make you very busy, you will indeed be permitted to do part-time work on your student visa. And since you seem to speak Japanese, you might find jobs in restaurants and apparell shops. A lot of them are okay with tattoos and pierces. At least you can wash dishes.

As for translating, it's not that you will be qualified just because you're bilingual, but with some practice you will be able to do J to E translations. Your knowledge on art and fashion will be a big help on that.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: how to get Japanese citizen as hafu 2016/2/24 12:42
I do not know well of the family register of Japan.
But the case of the children of Japanese mother is certified and draw the blood of the Japanese, it is an advantageous way.
You will proceed to consult close to the Japanese Embassy, the Japanese consulate.

In Japan, some people have an aversion with respect to tattoo. But if you look to foreigners, it will be somewhat tolerant of the people.
by shige (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread