Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Restaurant in Suginami 2016/2/19 22:17
I'm traveling to Tokyo from US in about a week, and I really want to try this sushi restaurant called "Marufuku."

Few issues with making a reservation at this place. I do not speak Japanese and I won't be staying at a hotel (using Airbnb). What would be the best way to check to see if they have anything available?

Additionally, I'm not sure if the restaurant is receptive to foreigners. How would I check to see if I can have dining experience without being rude?

Thank you so much for your attention to this matter!

by Dae (guest)  

Re: Restaurant in Suginami 2016/2/20 11:38
A large part of the enjoyment of a meal at a sushi restaurant is the interaction between the chef and the patrons, including general banter as well as fish-related conversation. It really does put a strain on the atmosphere of an intimate, ten-person counter if one or more parties don't speak Japanese - it's not like being in a normal restaurant where you just sit at the table and the chef stays in the kitchen.

For that reason I'd strongly suggest going to a sushi restaurant where they can take care of you in English. I usually recommend Kyubei: http://www.bento.com/rev/2285.html because they have a long history and provide very good value for money - they also have a branch in Nishi-Shinjuku if that's more convenient.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

reply to this thread