Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sending 43 inch TV from Japan to Australia 2016/2/20 22:01
Unfortunately the Japan Post's size restriction for sending packages to Australia make it not an option.

I have tried searching around, but I'm not sure what other options I have.

What company can I use to send a 43 inch flat screen television from Japan to Australia?
by Kat (guest)  

Re: Sending 43 inch TV from Japan to Australia 2016/2/21 08:32
Given cost issues it may make more sense to sell it and buy a new one in Australia.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sending 43 inch TV from Japan to Australia 2016/2/21 20:32
EMS, a service by Japan Post, allows max length 1.5m and total length+width+height max 3m and max weight 20kg for Australia.
https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/ems/size/index_en.html

A brand new TV package for example (http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%89%E3%82%A6%E3%82%B7%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A3-... ) is a size of 106 x 65 x 16cm with weight 11kg, which falls well below the limit. Can you pack your TV set within the limit ???
by GattoNegro rate this post as useful

Re: Sending 43 inch TV from Japan to Australia 2016/2/21 20:57
Thank you GattoNegro!

I had only checked the surface mail regulations (length + circumference can't be more than 2 meters) and assumed that the air option would be the same or even more restrictive.

Although it is more expensive, it at least gives us an option! I had given up. You have given us hope!
by Kat (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sending 43 inch TV from Japan to Australia 2016/2/21 21:59
Kat,

My pleasure. Good Luck !!!
by GattoNegro rate this post as useful

Re: Sending 43 inch TV from Japan to Australia 2016/2/22 05:50
As a related question, if it is a JDM TV running 100V, will it work in Australia at 220V?
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Sending 43 inch TV from Japan to Australia 2016/2/22 09:52
From what I have found while researching the same thing, we would need a step-down transformer like those on this site:
http://www.tortech.com.au/step-down-transformer-australia/japanese-tra...

They are quite expensive and annoyingly go from 100watts or less to 300watts or less so our 140watt TV would require the 300watt one.

If anyone else knows more, feel free to advise!

Re: Sending 43 inch TV from Japan to Australia 2016/2/22 17:21
Keep in mind that the total cost is not just for shipping. Don't forget to factor in the transformer PLUS the added cost of electricity lost to the transformer, which could be significant over the life of the TV. You will also likely need to purchase a new tuner for the tv so that it will work in Australia.

Back of the envelope, I would estimate you'll spend roughly 30,000 yen getting the tv to and working in Australia, plus the cost of extra electricity. So unless it is a particularly nice/expensive model you're probably better off selling it and buying a new set.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Sending 43 inch TV from Japan to Australia 2016/2/22 23:28
Japan, NTSC system.
Australia, PAL system.
you can' t use it in Australia.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sending 43 inch TV from Japan to Australia 2016/2/22 23:41
Most TVs have a setting where you can switch between PAL and NTSC. We have checked and ours does.

Re: Sending 43 inch TV from Japan to Australia 2016/2/23 09:21
OP..

Are you planning to use the TV as display monitor?

You do know that Japan TV will not receive Australia broadcast signal unless you are using separate tuner or satellite setbox.

by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sending 43 inch TV from Japan to Australia 2016/2/23 14:25

It will "make sense" to buy a new one in Australia, rather than spending "more cents" for the delivery and insurance. Just my "one cent" opinion.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sending 43 inch TV from Japan to Australia 2016/2/23 15:02
When I moved from Australia to Japan I checked out various shipping companies in case I needed to get some things sent here. The prices are ridicuously expensive. The cheapest company I found was called Cube It, the minimum shipping price being $170AU for a 30cmx30cm box with unlimited weight, then $190AU for a 20kg suitcase. If you need to ship other items back home then maybe it's worth it, but if you're just sending the TV I think it's a waste of money. As others have mentioned, the TV probably won't even work in Australia and you will need to buy a transformer for it. You will be much better off selling the TV here and buying a new one back in Australia, unless you're already planning to ship other stuff and have extra space in the shipping carton for the TV.
by Jenn Jett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sending 43 inch TV from Japan to Australia 2016/2/25 11:22
Thank you for your input everyone, I'll have to consider all of the costs and make the decision. ^-^

reply to this thread