Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

is there a buddah statue in Beppu 2005/2/3 08:10
is there a buddah statue in Beppu
by David  

... 2005/2/3 11:33
Most temples in Japan have some kind of Buddha statue in various sizes. And there are temples all across Japan, including Beppu. So, yes, there are Buddha statues in Beppu.
by Uji rate this post as useful

about statue 2005/2/3 11:35
hello. I don't think there are buddah statue in Beppu.
http://www.beppu-navi.jp/ml/english/index.htm
But there are famous statue in sama prefecture of Beppu called "usuki sekibutsu"
It made of stone .
http://www.usuki-kanko.com/
If you wanted to visit,you must take a JRline from Beppu to Usuki about 40 min,then from Usuki station take a bus to this area.
http://www.usuki-kanko.com/koutu/bus/bus_1.htm
on the left is Usuki station.
on the right is Usuki sekibutu
There aren't a lot of bus so you must check before you visit.
by yoshiko rate this post as useful

buddah in beppu 2007/1/30 03:12
i found on ebay a postcard on sale with the statue of buddah on it it went for over 5.00 it was from beppu i used to live there at camp chickamauga for couple of years after i was adopted from the orphange in beppu thank you kimiko kusumoto if you want a post card of it i scanned it of ebay
by francescaholloway rate this post as useful

Beppu Buddah 2007/3/5 01:02
While living in Beppu at Camp Chickamauga (dad in 19th Inf. Reg.) in 1950 I visited a Buddah which was said to be the second largest in Japan.
by Bob Martin rate this post as useful

buddah statues in beppu 2007/3/5 07:48
bob martin you was in camp chickmauga in the 50-s in beppu please email me i kimiko kusumoto and masako yokoyama was there in beppu at that time francescaholloway2000@yahoo.com thank you francesca-kimiko
by francescaholloway rate this post as useful

Beppu Buda Statue 2008/8/18 12:33
i was stationed at camp chickamaugua in 1946-47. (19th Inf Reg., 24th Inf Div.,)
and remember seeing the statue in Beppu.
by dan burton rate this post as useful

Buddah in Beppu 2009/6/24 01:12
I was stationed in Camp Chicamauga (19th Infantry Regt, 24th Division) in 1946 and 1947- there was a very large statue of Buddah within 3 blocks of the waterfront- Why the mystery?
by Bill Waggolner (guest) rate this post as useful

Beppu Buddha was there. 2009/7/12 03:12
The huge Beppu Buddha was there in late 1954. The 187ARCT Mlitary Police Guarded it after a threat was made to blow it up.
by Steve Doty (guest) rate this post as useful

Beppu Buddha Shrine 2009/8/6 03:45
My late father, Felix Moriconi, was stationed to the American Red Cross in Beppu in 1946. I recently found his photo album from Beppu and will be posting two photos of the shrine taken in 1946 on You Tube. I hope to have these, and other Beppu photos posted in a week or so.
by David Moriconi (guest) rate this post as useful

sitting concrete Budda 2009/8/14 14:00
I was there in the US Army in 1953/1954 and saw what I remember as the biggest sitting concrete Budda in Japan. It was mixed with the ashes of cremated remains. You could also walk inside of it.
by e campbell (guest) rate this post as useful

Buddha Statue 2009/9/3 04:18
Go to YouTube or Google Videos and do a search for "Beppu Japan 1946". In the video slide show, there are two images of the 80 foot high Buddha taken in 1946 by my late father, Felix Moriconi, who was stationed to the American Red Cross in Beppu in early to mid 1946.
by David Moriconi (guest) rate this post as useful

Buddah, Yes 2009/10/30 04:30
I was with the 508th RCT in 1955 & 1956. I remember a huge Buddah not too far From Camp Chickamauga in Beppu
by Robert Richardas (guest) rate this post as useful

I visited the Beppu Buddha Shrine 2010/9/26 17:23
As a crew member of the USS Bausell DD 8-45, which made a courtesy visit to Beppu in 1966, I visited the Buddha Shrine there. It stood forty-fifty feet high and was a charcoal color. Visitors were allowed to walk inside where a number of funerary urns sat. These were filled with human cremains that would be added to the statue itself which was made entirely of those cremains. I shall never forget the experience.
by Darrell Hooker (guest) rate this post as useful

Yes there is a Budda at Beppu. 2010/12/11 02:09
I was in Infrantry Band 1947 and have pictures of 400 year old Budda near Camp.
by Vincent D. Engelby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: is there a buddah statue in Beppu 2013/10/6 02:58
There was a buddha statue in Beppu but it is no longer there:

http://www.508pir.org/odessey/japan/beppu_01.htm
by Peter Leung (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread