Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bank account with debit card? 2016/3/11 09:22
There was another question like mine but it was posted over 10 years ago so for the sake of up to date information I'll post a similar question again.

When I go to Japan soon I'll need to open a bank account. I was considering JP bank due to the convenience of them being everywhere.

As far as I've found out online you receive a bank book and a cashcard which can only be used for making ATM withdrawals.

I don't mind using cash to pay for things at shops but how do you pay for things online (Amazon for example) without a debit card ?

I don't really like the idea of owing money on a credit card and not sure I'd be granted one as a student without any income.

Extra: Does anybody know if JP bank charges for making payments ? and which bank would you recommend ?

thank you so much if you answer.
by guest (guest)  

Re: Bank account with debit card? 2016/3/11 12:48
it's true that you get only an ATM card when you get a bank account. as a foreigner, i have heard many stories from my friends here about being rejected for 100% credit cards, due to many things (which can include that your visa length is usually only one year at first). however, if you get an account at mitsubishi-mufj, you can get a debit card to be linked up with your account, and the application is easily done either online through your account or in the office. i got one very quickly and easily to link with my account, and it's changed a lot (the first two years here, i had no debit or credit card). i would recommend them for that reason.
by kayjazz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bank account with debit card? 2016/3/11 13:49
You can pay for virtually all online purchases from Japanese websites in cash at convenience stores. This includes Amazon orders.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Bank account with debit card? 2016/3/11 15:19
Oh, and you can also buy prepaid Visa cards in convenience stores, although I have never tried them myself. (I have kept my French card, which I still use sometimes, to buy things from non-Japanese sites and also to pay for my cellphone plan.)
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Bank account with debit card? 2016/3/11 15:49
I have account with UFJ. 1 Cash card + 1 debit card. There were no question asked when i opened, about my visa or my income. Not sure what other banks do but it was quite easy with UFJ for me.
by ACF82 rate this post as useful

Re: Bank account with debit card? 2016/3/11 16:54
Thank you very much, There's a big UFJ bank very close to where I'll be living. I'll definitely go there first.

Thanks Firas for the other options.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread