Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Drawing for a store; asking for a job 2016/3/15 07:36
Greetings,

So I have a story: In 2012, I went to Japan to visit my friend for 2 weeks.

We walked into a Visual K clothing store, and immediately the owner was interested in me for some reason. He complimented my clothing style, and randomly asked me if I drew. I told him I did. He then asked to see some drawings of mine. I carry a sketchbook on me when I go out, so I took the book out and he looked through it.

He loved my art and asked if I would draw some designs for his store to put on the clothing. I happily agreed. He asked if I was on a working visa--and so I assumed this meant he actually wanted to hire and pay me.

I told him I was just visiting, and that I am from the United States, so unfortunately we don't have working visas. He was disappointed, but I told him that I would draw anyway for him for free, because I was honored to be able to do something like this.

So during the two weeks, I went back and forth to the store with my designs, where he would tell me changes he wanted and such on the art. It was actually like a real job. He payed me as a "thank you", even though I didn't ask.

Now fast forward to 2016. My boyfriend moved to Japan to teach English, and naturally I want to be there with him. However, I don't have a "real degree" in anything, so getting a job there (or anywhere for that matter) seems impossible.

I went to an Art Institute where I was going for an Associates in animation. Half way through, I [stupidly] decided to transfer to the Art Institute of Toronto (no longer running) for personal reasons.

That Art Institute was different in the fact that it didn't give you gen. ed classes. You walked out there with a "certificate diploma" in whatever you were majoring in.

I graduated, but of course my diploma doesn't say "associates" on it anywhere. I've been told that this is not acceptable to get a job with.

I was going through my transcripts the other day, however, and I noticed that my first Art Institute says on it
Diploma type: Associates

While my Toronto Art Institute says on it
Diploma type: Diploma

I had also taken all my gen. ed classes at my first AI before transferring, too.

I also have another honors for getting nominated to be valedictorian.

Due to medical conditions at the moment, I can only go to Japan for a month to visit my boyfriend. I had been musing over the idea of going back to that Visual K store (as it is still in business), and just outright asking the owner if he remembered me, and make some artwork to show him that he may like along with my "certificate diploma".

I am contemplating telling him the truth of things, and saying that I am looking for someone to sponsor me so that I may stay in Japan and be with my boyfriend. I'd ask him if he would be able to sponsor me and say he would "hire" me, though I really wouldn't need to be paid for anything, and I'd gladly make designs for him for free. I just need a visa to be able to be in the country with my boyfriend, and he is making enough money to support and house me too.

This seems pretty crazy of me, and kind of rude too. I feel like it's just too bold to outright ask something like this, but then I recall how it seemed like the man did want me to work for him those years ago.

Has anyone else had something similar happen like this before? Would it be really disrespectful if I asked him about sponsorship and truthfully told him of the situation?

If this is an acceptable thing to do, does anyone have any tips on how to make this appear better on my part?

Thank you for reading.
by Jo (guest)  

Re: Drawing for a store; asking for a job 2016/3/15 10:23
Since "associate degree" or "diploma" is not enough for an employer-sposored work visa, if you are worried about educational background, that might not make a difference. If you go for an "artist" type of status, you'd need to show some track record of your art so far.

And probably what he meant when he asked if you were on a working visa was most likely he wanted to hire you on a part-time basis and pay you properly. I don't think he was thinking about (I am only guessing but) sponsoring you for a full-time position. And if you can only go a month at a time, he would not be able to sponsor you even if you wanted it (there isn't anything such as a month visa for a month job).

If you hold an American passport and can go only for a month at a time, and you don't need to hold a paying job, you can just do that, as you will get Temporary Visitor stamp in your passport for up to 90 days when you arrive in Japan.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Drawing for a store; asking for a job 2016/3/15 10:31
I graduated, but of course my diploma doesn't say "associates" on it anywhere. I've been told that this is not acceptable to get a job with.

Associates degrees are also typically not enough to qualify for a work visa without significant work experience. You may need to explore other routes instead.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Drawing for a store; asking for a job 2016/3/15 15:41
I suppose you are saying that you're coming to Japan on a 90 day status, visit the shop, and hopefully get the man to be a sponsor so that you can stay in Japan longer in the future once your medical issues are clear.

I know nothing about visas and sponsors, but if you need a career for one reason or another, I don't think it's rude at all to visit the store again, ask for the man you knew, ask him if he remembers you, and tell him you'd like to draw for him again. That's normal.

And since 4 years has passed, he may have hired enough artists already, and he wouldn't be sure if your skills have not faded. So you can re-start from scratch, it might work out smoothly since he already knew you, and as things evolve, you can ask about whatever you need.

It's also great that he did pay you, because there are so many people who take free drawing for granted, and that's is not good at all for the art industry. It's okay to give favors back for free, but you're starting a career now, so as long as there are no lawful issues, try to take the money you deserve.

By the way, I find that people in the Japanese fashion industry are willing to adventure, and are keen on listening to and educating newbies especially because newbies represent their customer base. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they will try to look after you in the long term. They just give you a nice place to start at.

Hope you enjoy your temporary stay for a start.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Drawing for a store; asking for a job 2016/3/16 07:18
Without a BA degree or 10 years of work experience though, even if they want to sponsor you immigration will not approve your visa. Their requirements are set, even if you have a willing employer. Your best bet would be to find a way to come on a student visa and get permission for part time work.

Don't ask anyone to falsely 'hire' you without pay for a visa, that's fraud and will get you and the company in legal trouble.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread